Matching splitter motor and pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From memory it seems that 5HP is recommended for 11 GPM two stage pump. Best check with better source than my memory:dizzy:

This one time on AS, someone made it easy to remember,

1/2 hp motor for each 1gpm pump.

or something like that. :dizzy:

Most commercially built splitters will marry a 5.5 to an 11gpm pump. However taking into consideration that 90% of the time the splitting pressures are 500 or less I'm sure it will work. Occaionally you might bog the engine but that will depend on the high pressure stage volume. On the 11 gpm pumps I think the volume is about 1gpm when it shuttles to high pressure stage.

check the vendor for the displacement sizes.
If it is a barnes, the small section (low flow high pressure) is exactly the same between the two. Only the larger section is different.
therefore, since the flow is the same, the engine will run either one to the same high pressure setting, 2500 or 2700 or whatever, until it bogs the engine.

when in high flow mode, it will bog the engine at a lower pressure. That is easy, you just reduce the unloading setting on the pump. So it just shifts to low flow a bit earlier. Maybe 50 or 100 psi lower, not much.

Check the vendor numbers, but I would go the 13 gpm. I repowered our 4 inch 5.5 hp 11 gpm to 13 pump because I needed an 11 for another project. Rather than buy a new 11, I bought a 13 and moved them around. Works great but barelynoticeable. helps on return cycle especially when waiting to rotate the wood and go through for the second pass.

Be aware though it will only increase the speed about 10% or so.

kcj

Thanks for the replies I have a splitter given to me that has a belt driving a pump mounted on the side of the oil tank and with a 4 inch cylinder it has a 20 second cycle time. When you get a piece that stalls it the belt slips on the pullys and the detents don't work. I have been looking at northern tool for pump oil tank and everything that goes with it and looks like I could have 450 dollars doing the switch.

I just picked up a pump from Northern Tool for my splitter. I'm running a 5.5 hp Briggs. I haven't put in on yet, but it's a Haldex 2-stage (13.6gmp/2.9gpm). i bought it even though it said it needed a 6hp to run it. Well, I read the manual that came with it and it said it only needed a 5hp to run it. The high pressure gpm of 2.9 is the same gpm of the 11gpm pump.

I figured my engine would be enough for the high speed, and since both low speeds were the same, it should not be an issue....then I read the manual and it showed the same hp requirements for both pumps...then I thought, why would someone buy the 11gpm pump when they can get the 13.6?!?!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200321053_200321053

Here is the info and a file for the barnes 2-stage pumps. The high pressure gear is the same for 11-13 gpm pumps .194 in/cu per rev.. The 16 gpm pump is .258 in/cu per rev.. The 22-28 gpm pumps are .465 in/cu per rev..

The attached pdf file contains pump curves ,pump dimensions , and pump measurements.

Here is the info and a file for the barnes 2-stage pumps. The high pressure gear is the same for 11-13 gpm pumps .194 in/cu per rev.. The 16 gpm pump is .258 in/cu per rev.. The 22-28 gpm pumps are .465 in/cu per rev..

The attached pdf file contains pump curves ,pump dimensions , and pump measurements.

yeahhH!!! you the MAN!

Back