Maul/Axe for Splitting Eucalyptus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyv

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good maul or axe for splitting euc trees. I have a yard full and I just felled some and I need to split some wood. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

We don't have Eucalyptus trees here in the upper left hand corner of the US. Is there something different about the wood that would necessitate a different maul/axe?

James

Can anyone recommend a good maul or axe for splitting euc trees. I have a yard full and I just felled some and I need to split some wood. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

I found the Fiskars splitting axe to be good. Lifetime warranty on the handle. Mine has so far out lasted about 10 wooden handles and the head pops most eucs apart quite well.

Not really a brand recommendation, but splitting wood with an axe, to me, is a bit too much like work...

Get a good maul, and have a couple of wedges on hand. Dig in and enjoy the process!

I like the Mega Maul. I got mine from Bailey's. It takes some getting used to the weight, but it'll make you tough!

I recently acquired several rounds of recently felled Eucalyptus (Central CA area). Rounds are between 30-40+". I wasn't sure how it would split so I picked up a couple 5# wedges. Turned out I didn't need them. Used an 8# wood splitter maul to chunk it down. (Anything bigger than 8# doesn't do much except make you tired faster.) It was very easy to split compared to pine; much less stringy. The smaller chunks I split into firewood sized pieces using a standard size Michigan axe. Could have continued to use the maul. Again, trying to reduce fatigue over time. Axe sliced through it like butter.

Some Eucy splits easily, some needs hydraulic unless you want to get real fit.

Not sure what variety I have specifically. Lucked out though and got the easy-split kind. "Pops" easily with a metallic "ting" sound.

johnnyv - Hope yours is that easy too.

Note that I use the word easy in context. Splitting wood is work any way you cut it (pun intended). This stuff I have is just less difficult relative to stringy, fibrous stuff that requires hydraulics.

Latest posts

Back