Maximizing Reliability on Husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxl4

Reaction score
Because of the rural nature of where I live in the PacNW, I've realized that I need a highly reliable saw to use when we get a big blow. With power and phones dead, I sometimes need to cut my way out to civilization.

I was able to pick up a Husqvarna 359 with a 20" bar (used) and will take it to the local Husky dealer to get it fully up to snuff.

What I need to know from this august body, is how do I keep this thing in tip top shape? With the exception of clearing blow-downs, I don't really expect to use it more that a few hours a year.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Bill

Always use fresh fuel,keep it sharp when using it,use a quality mixing oil...Keep the air filter clean,and when putting it up for storage,make sure you pour the unused gas out and run the saw until all the gas is out of the carb...No more than it sounds like you will be using it...It should last you a lifetime.

And welcome to AS...Spend too much time on here,and you're likely to have a pick-up truck load of saws to cut your way into town with.:hmm3grin2orange:

put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder and crank the engine over slowly when you store it for extended periods of time. That will prevent corrosion. I also agree with the run all gas out method and I make sure the carb is dry by draining the bowl as well.

Always use fresh fuel,keep it sharp when using it,use a quality mixing oil...Keep the air filter clean,and when putting it up for storage,make sure you pour the unused gas out and run the saw until all the gas is out of the carb...No more than it sounds like you will be using it...It should last you a lifetime.

Yes, and remember to actually mix the mix oil into the gas when time comes to use it,

or :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :cry:

Timberhauler and other guys have said it all.

My $.02 is to read carefully and follow the operating instructions and maint schedule in the manual (you can get one online from the Husqvarna website if you don't have one). Drain the gas (and bar oil too) for long term storage and run out the gas from the carb. Pull plug, squirt some oil into the cylinder, pull over a couple times. When going to use it always use fresh 89 octane or higher gas and good 2-cycle oil properly mixed (I routinely add Sta-bil to mine but am not sure I'm not wasting money). If the gas is over a couple of months old it goes into the truck and I get a fresh mix. I think the most important thing is to use a good sharp chain. A great running saw with a dull chain is a boat anchor. Oh, I also change gas/air filters and plug at least annually.

I'll also add "be safe".

Get some good eye/ear protection, gloves, boots, chaps, and hard hat. Don't gamble when you work with your saw. If the job looks at all risky get a pro in to do it. They know all the tricks. They cost a heck of a lot less than a trip to the ER. If you haven't used a chain saw much find a neighbor that can give you some pointers about using it. Be careful.

I like my 359. The only wrinkle I have had with it is the way it starts when warmed up but has been sitting off a while. You pull out the choke, then push it back in. This sets the fast idle. When the saw turns over you squeeze the throttle to go back to normal idle speed.

Last edited:
When it has been off for just a few minutes it easily starts on idle, no choking messing around at all.

If it is warmed up but has been sitting for 5-10 minutes or longer (gas evaporated out of the carb I think) you pull-out and immediately push-in the choke and the carb is then set to fast idle for easier starting. Very simple.
I have never had have a starting problem (knock on wood). Only when the saw has been sitting unused for several weeks/months may it take a couple extra pulls.

Last edited:
Yup - probably 20 mins or more is more realistic. Cutting in cold weather cools the saw off fast though.

Because of the rural nature of where I live in the PacNW, I've realized that I need a highly reliable saw to use when we get a big blow. With power and phones dead, I sometimes need to cut my way out to civilization.

I was able to pick up a Husqvarna 359 with a 20" bar (used) and will take it to the local Husky dealer to get it fully up to snuff.

What I need to know from this august body, is how do I keep this thing in tip top shape? With the exception of clearing blow-downs, I don't really expect to use it more that a few hours a year.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Bill

If'n ya ever need help cuttin' yourself out... give me a holler. I live up on Whidbey Island, and can help you out if you need it. I can PM you my phone number if ya want.

Gary

Wow, what a bunch of helpful guys!

Thanks, guys for your ideas. Let me answer the questions asked of me and add some that you've raised in my mind:

Where does one "pour out the old gas", legally, that is? Some suggested putting it into a vehicle, but my truck is a 4-cycle and I didn't think that the oil in that gas would be a good idea.

The saw has the black/slate gas cap so no E-tech & E-tech muffler, but wandering around this site has gotten me excited about muffler modding (I know that it is stupid for me to fool with given my stated application, but hey, I'm a guy and a modded muffler produces MORE POWER).

Thanks for the oil in the cylinder idea, that sounds good. How would that impact startability for the next time?

Getting a manual - I need advice on this. I've been to the Husky website but there are different manuals for different era 359s. How do I know which one applies to my saw?

Safety equipment - I've got most of the suggested list already but am scoping out a pair of chaps now. Don't anyone go on eBay until tomorrow!

Gary - Thanks for your offer to come over from Whidbey to Bainbridge to help me cut my way out but if we have a bunch of Doug Firs blown over here, you have just as many at home to cut up for the neighbors. Secondly, I wasn't complaining about cutting the blow-downs. Afterall, this has been the justification for throwing away my green POS saw and getting my manly-man Husky.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'd keep a decent supply of spare parts as well.

Maybe pick up a spare bar sometime. Some bar nuts and things of that nature to keep on hand, because finding things dropped in the snow, sucks. More so if you are trying to get out to civilization.

Any consumable part, I'd have at least 2 stocked up. One for when it breaks, and then one to sit in inventory until the replacement unit arrives (Which could be a while during/after an ice storm.

Where does one "pour out the old gas", legally, that is? Some suggested putting it into a vehicle, but my truck is a 4-cycle and I didn't think that the oil in that gas would be a good idea.

While there is likely somewhere you can recycle it, dumping a gallon or two into your truck at a time will not hurt it. The amount of oil from a gallon of 2 stroke mix is miniscule when mixed into 30 gallons of fuel. For the amount of cutting you intend to use the saw for, a gallon or two of mix at a time will likely be plenty, which makes it easy to use up, in a couple fills of the truck. Simply let the gas level get down a little from full and pour in the mix, or if nearly empty, take the jug of mix to the gast station with you, pour it in, then proceed to fill the truck's tank.

Gary - Thanks for your offer to come over from Whidbey to Bainbridge to help me cut my way out but if we have a bunch of Doug Firs blown over here, you have just as many at home to cut up for the neighbors. Secondly, I wasn't complaining about cutting the blow-downs. Afterall, this has been the justification for throwing away my green POS saw and getting my manly-man Husky.:hmm3grin2orange:

No sweat dude... that's what it's all about. Helpin' a fellow sawyer out.:cheers:

We knew ya weren't complainin'... riddin' this world of a Pooplaun is a good thing!

Gary

OK, guess I read too much into it (that you were doing it every time). My saws will usually start on idle up to around 20 minutes after shut down...depending on the air temperature.

That's about my experiense also, but it varies between saws ......;)

Latest posts

Back