Maximum Size Bar for Husky 385 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabberx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. Great forum. I have a 24" bar that I am using and want to know what size the 385 can handle. The owners manuel says 28" max I think. I have heard this saw can go bigger than that. What are you gentlemen using? How does this saw match up with Stihl 460 and the Stihl 660. Thinking about buying one or the other also. Your reply's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Crabberx

As I was told when I first asked this question 28 is the maximum safe bar for continuous heavy use otherwise you put your PTO bearing at risk. Now after saying that I do use a 36 on my on a regular basis till I get something bigger such as a 3120 or an 088. I use full chisel non skip chain on the 36 and it will pull it through anything I bury it in. It has been buried to where the tip was just showing out the other side and still pulling hard. That has been in Water Oak, Pine, Cypress and numerous others.

This is an opinion/preference question. What bar someone thinks cuts slow and weak someone else will say cuts great.
What kind of wood do you cut? Are you an aggressive cutter? Are you planning on running full skip, semi skip or full comp? Will you run a smaller sprocket? These are somethings you can do to run a bigger bar.

With all that said I don't think I wouldn't go over 28" bar. I like to cut as fast as I can. So a slow big bar just won't do. But I've never ran a 385xp so take my advice at that.
If your going to go 32" I think I would go 395xp or mod the 385xp.
As far as speed in a cut most Sthil stock vs stock in it's class are slower in the cut. Not saying Sthil is a bad saw. Speed isn't everything. I think most Stihls are better balanced and have a smoother power band.
I wouldn't think nothing of buying a 660 or 460.

Hello, this is my first post here. Great forum. I have a 24" bar that I am using and want to know what size the 385 can handle. The owners manuel says 28" max I think. I have heard this saw can go bigger than that. What are you gentlemen using? How does this saw match up with Stihl 460 and the Stihl 660. Thinking about buying one or the other also. Your reply's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Crabberx

In hardwood a 36" is alot of bar for a 385. A 385 will pull a 36" full comp but its happier with a skip chain. I used to run a 36" on mine til I got a 395. Once in awhile its OK but if your going to use a 36" bar alot get a 660 or 395. It will be easier on you and the saw. I've ran a 460 and a 385 is alittle stronger. I haven't run a 660 but looking at the specs it should out cut the 385. Here is a pic of my 385 with a 36" bar, its not fast but it will do it.
However, its fast with a 24" and thats all I run on it now.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back