Maybe I should change my mind on getting a pair of chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think I read something like a third of all saw injuries are to the legs, another third are to the hands. I wear labonville's extreme chaps and some kevlar-backed saw gloves I saw on the forum. Coupled w/ eye/face protection, I figure I reduced my chances of getting injured by about 75%. Its a no-brainer.

And take frequent breaks, get plenty of water and quit for the day when you get tired.

Saws are tons of fun, but are also super dangerous and can quickly/easily create some ghastly wounds.

protect yo self
before you wreck yo self

facts08.htm_txt_Injuryman2.gif

Chaps

Get a pair and wear them. I was up cutting fire wood years ago and there was a guy down the road from the landing I was cutting on, my buddy told me we should check on the guy, his saw was idling for ten minutes. We got down the road on full throttle run figuring he was in trouble. I turned the corner of the hill and he was laying on the side of the road with his right thigh slashed wide open, I used every piece of gauge in my trauma bag plus three shirts to stop the bleeding. Needless to say he was lucky to be alive. I went the next day and bought several pairs of chaps. As a former EMT I have seen saw injuries and I think chaps are a good investment to reduce the potential injury. Chaps need regular inspection and need to be washed every few months of full time use. I replace mine every 4 years regardless of use, if damaged they are thrown away.

I wish there was a lightweight alternative to the thick, clumsy, hot chaps. I see the Labonville lightweight pants w/ insert but I don't like how it only protects in the area of the insert. Any ideas?

When it starts getting over 95*F wearing all the PPE becomes "easier said than done"

I wish there was a lightweight alternative to the thick, clumsy, hot chaps. I see the Labonville lightweight pants w/ insert but I don't like how it only protects in the area of the insert. Any ideas?

When it starts getting over 95*F wearing all the PPE becomes "easier said than done"

You said it there!
I got the Husky full wraps, wanted full protection if I was going to wear them, but you pay for it on the hot days!
I need summer chaps too I guess.

Why not get them from the source? I bought mine from one of the Labonville stores in Maine, shipped to Canada no problem, so you shouldn't have an issue. Great service, and in stock, and they are a sponser here. Can't say the same about Bailey's. Tried to order 5 items this year from them and out of stock every time.

Looks like Baileys has the Labonville chaps, guess I will be placing a order shortly. I will check with my local dealers first, might be able to save the shipping cost.

I even wear mine while I'm Weed Whacking, Between the chaps and the face screen Helmet makes weed whackin alot less painful. Just two days ago I had a small piece of Gravel stick into my forearm, I had to squeeze it out like a Zit.....:msp_ohmy:

Last year's birthday the wife got me the Labonville full length one's from Baileys. I recommend going about 2-3" longer than your normal pant length, as mine only come to about the top of my 9" logger boots.

I find them very easy to work in, and its nice to drop on a knee is some wet nasty stuff and not feel a thing.

As a side bonus, the wife finds them very arousing for some odd reason.

Yes, she told me this, and yes, I did have pants on underneath.

Chainsaw pants VS. Chainsaw chaps

Is one safer than the other? Safe to assume the pants would be warmer than the chaps? I understand the chaps are more easily removed, but the pants could eliminate another layer to wear, possibly?

Chainsaw pants VS. Chainsaw chaps

Is one safer than the other? Safe to assume the pants would be warmer than the chaps? I understand the chaps are more easily removed, but the pants could eliminate another layer to wear, possibly?

I'd like to hear more on the pants vs. chaps debate. I know I would be more likely to wear the pants since I don't usually cut wood in my boxers ;-) Chaps are too easy to leave in the truck.

Good point, pants are something you'd put on in advance, chaps would be likely to be left behind or forgotten in the truck. On the other hand, pants could very well be forgotten at home whereas the chaps may just get left in the truck after each use.... Ups and downs either way with the convenience factor.

Good point, pants are something you'd put on in advance, chaps would be likely to be left behind or forgotten in the truck. On the other hand, pants could very well be forgotten at home whereas the chaps may just get left in the truck after each use.... Ups and downs either way with the convenience factor.

I have a couple pair of chaps and it seems the extra bulkyness, layers (over jeans), straps are all an hindrence at the wood lot and the reasons they stay in the truck-
on the other hand, chainsaw pants if worn in place of jeans before you ever leave the house would not only be more reliable protection (because they are your only pants at worksite), cooler, less bulky, no straps to get caught in the brush... course these are only my theorys, looking for confirmation from someone who's tried both.

I bought a pair of Labonville chaps about a month ago. I did so as a result of listening to all the good advise and experience I got here on AS. It only takes a split second....the results of an accident with a saw can be life changing. Chaps are money well spent in my opinion....just a weekend firewood cutter talking.

Great information, thanks guys. As a small acreage property owner, my saw use is mostly small woodcutting, trimming trees, removing storm damage, etc.

I have 30 years as a volunteer on our local Fire District, 26 as a Chief Officer. I've seen my share of medical calls, the most graphic and hard to treat are wounds like a chainsaw can make, as depicted in the video.

That said, I fall into the risk management category of "High Risk, Low Frequency".....this one is bad, from the start. I don't use a saw on a daily basis, I don't have the experience of most of you who cut firewood or log for a living, that makes my job most dangerous to me.

I wear full PPE, Labonville chaps included, when I start the saw(s). I'm very careful not to develop a feeling of security because of the PPE. Same with the PPE (turnouts, SCBA, helmet, gloves, boots, etc.) we wear on the fireground and the local drag strip (helmet, gloves, neck collar, fire suit, arm restraints, 5 pt harness, roll cage, etc.) The false sense of security causes many incidents, I try to practice situational awareness when doing tasks that I know are dangerous.

Thanks again for the advice and reminders.........be safe!

My father once went out to cut some firewood using one of his chainsaws. When he returned 20 minutes later, his face was white. My mother asked him if there was something wrong. He pointed to his stomach, where he had a 6 inches long cut through his jacket, through his very thick Icelandic sweater, all the way to his t-shirt. There were marks on the t-shirt, but it was still mostly intact, and his skin looked like someone had taken a sharp knife and gently moved it across his chest area leaving a thin red line. He had managed to trigger the chain brake, and that saved his life.

My father, who was 60+ years old at the time, had been working professionally in the woods since he was 12-13 years old. Experience might reduce the risk of doing something stupid at any given time, but experience also means you have spent more time doing something that is dangerous even if you take all possible precautions.

Never tried pants, but I considered them and think I'd much prefer my chaps.

I like the ability to remove them during breaks, driving, etc. and I like the ability to wear them w/ shorts if the cutting situation allows. they pop on/off in less than 15 sec, and allow air to circulate in/out from the rear. And I like the ultimate protection that chaps provide. Mine are also a tad longer (chap sizing is done via the outseam not the inseam, so a 32" chap, for example, is very very short) so they protect the ankle and a bit of the foot top. You can't really forget a pair of big bright red/orange chaps . . . unless you want to. And you really do feel naked without them once you get used to them. Wash them what maybe every other month?

You are stuck in the hot heavy bulky pants all day long no matter what, and they don't offer the same level of protection as chaps. And you'd need a bunch of the pants or you'd be wearing the same stank dirty pants over and over, or washing the same pair A LOT.

Advantage chaps.

Latest posts

Back