Maybe I should change my mind on getting a pair of chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't wear the gear when I was younger. Poor and stupid. I did have some close calls.

Now I'm older, slower reacting, and weaker and putting on the gear gives me something to do while the saw warms up. The chaps also have the added advantage of keeping your pants clean.

Like some others, I find chaps and the helmet useful when whacking weeds.

Never tried pants, but I considered them and think I'd much prefer my chaps.

Advantage chaps.

I bought a pair of pants a few years ago, but stopped wearing them, because too hot and too clumsy, hence limiting my freedom to move around. I've been thinking of getting chaps as well but all I see advertised in europe are pants. Guess I have to shop over the pond soon.:)

If anyone finds chaps too hot to wear, keep in mind you don't have to wear anything under them!:popcorn:

When working in the brush I wear the full cutting pants, its a little cooler up here so temp is seldom a hinderence. They have suspenders but no buckles and straps to get caught up, wear them instead of work pants or jeans. They give very protection and don`t limit movement at all.

Fall 1996. Still learning to respect the 920 and it bit me for being so arrogant. Left kneecap has a groove in it and they had to lift the cap off to clean out the sawdust/oil under the kneecap in the ER. I fricken' cried like a baby when they took the scrub brush to the muscle to comb out the crap and that was with the local.

It only cost me a week of work and about $10,000 back then (probably $100,000 now). I wear the chaps, steel toe boots, helmet with eye and ear protection and leather gloves. I cut when over 100 degrees and to -30 and ALWAYS wear them.

Does anyone make a jacket that has chest and arm protection? I saw one by Oregon sold in the UK but its not listed in their 2011 catalog.

I have read that you're not supposed to machine wash them
Only hand wash...machine washing somehow reduces protection
Don't know if this is true or not but I don't to find out badly.
Label on my Stihl chaps says hand wash only
:cheers:
J2F

I have read that you're not supposed to machine wash them
Only hand wash...machine washing somehow reduces protection
Don't know if this is true or not but I don't to find out badly.
Label on my Stihl chaps says hand wash only
J2F

Some say not to machine wash, while others (Elvex, for instance) say that washing actually improves the "fluff" in the chain stopping material. This is because not all manufacturers use the same material/fibers inside the shell.

Straps getting caught in brush? I'm cutting in brush all the time here (jaggers, brambles, berry bushes, thistles, etc.) and don't have this problem with Labonville full-wrap chaps with the 1000 denier Cordura shell. The straps are wider than some other brands and there is little extra to flop around. Maybe this happens with other models???

I actually prefer wearing chaps in thorny brush because they don't catch on the nasties.

90°F+ means I find something else to do that doesn't require chaps. If I must cut in hot weather, I like the fact that chaps can be removed very quickly when I take a break.

Some say not to machine wash, while others (Elvex, for instance) say that washing actually improves the "fluff" in the chain stopping material. This is because not all manufacturers use the same material/fibers inside the shell.

Thanks for that info. I am going by what I've read and what my Stihl chaps label says.
A year ago I passed by a guy putting on his Stihl chaps.
They were limp as a noodle...I knew what he had done.
I stopped and told him about it...he said he would take the chance.
I haven't seen him since...and he was going to build on that property???
J2F

Last edited:
When working in the brush I wear the full cutting pants, its a little cooler up here so temp is seldom a hinderence. They have suspenders but no buckles and straps to get caught up, wear them instead of work pants or jeans. They give very protection and don`t limit movement at all.

You know guy; I've been thinking on doing that very thing. This last winter I was soaking wet from those chaps. The full cutting pants are worth it, and I won't have to buckle and un-buckle anymore.

Glad I had them on

I've been wearing Labonville full wrap chaps for a couple years now. Three weeks ago, I went out to help a church member knock down some small trees near her home. They had all recently died and she wanted them down. Third tree was not very tall, but it wanted to lean a bit towards her house, so I knew I might need to give it a shove. Probably a 6" diameter tree, maybe 15 feet tall. I notched it a bit and then started in on it from the back.

As expected, the tree wanted to fall backwards, so I stopped sawing and switched the saw to my left hand so I could just push it over with my right hand, which worked fine.

Then I noticed the outer covering of the chaps over my left knee had been shredded open. Not enough to disturb the lining, but a couple of good 4 inch rips. I guess the saw got me on its way down to idle.

My new pair of Labonville's will arrive this week. I expect to wear them all day Saturday; she probably lost 40 big trees in the EF3 that hit her property Saturday afternoon. Me and a few others cut 11 trees off her driveway before it got dark so she would be able to get out the next day.

I havent worn any since I was felling trees. We had to wear them then. I had some older type, hand-me-downs that I'm probably lucky I never cut into. :)
I need to buy a new pair. I have been looking at the Labonville wrap chaps.
I stay very paranoid while felling and cutting trees anymore. I have had so many close calls. Been hit by falling limbs, almost rolled over by huge trunks while bucking, hit by broken cables, etc.

Not only chaps, but a helmet is a must. I've had limbs hit my helmet before. Big ones. They give you the stiff neck for weeks. Gotta keep ya eyes up while felling trees.

It's nothing but luck thats kept me from cutting myself. I did hit my leg one good time with the running chain, but the pliers in my pocket caught it and deflected it. Pure luck.

Gotta wear protection!

Latest posts

Back