Maybe I should change my mind on getting a pair of chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straps getting caught in brush? I'm cutting in brush all the time here (jaggers, brambles, berry bushes, thistles, etc.) and don't have this problem with Labonville full-wrap chaps with the 1000 denier Cordura shell. The straps are wider than some other brands and there is little extra to flop around. Maybe this happens with other models???

I actually prefer wearing chaps in thorny brush because they don't catch on the nasties.

90°F+ means I find something else to do that doesn't require chaps. If I must cut in hot weather, I like the fact that chaps can be removed very quickly when I take a break.

My experience is the same. Although I can see some situations where you could get hung up with the straps, it has never happened to me. I wear the Bailey house brand chaps but I intend get some longer Labonville's. Ron

lambs ~ I went out to help a church member knock down some small trees near her home.

Similar situation coming up. He has 11 big pines on his fence line. He's getting to old to keep the needles and pine cones picked up and wants them all down.

I have seen this thread in various forms since I joined AS. I had never heard of chaps when I joined here, and saw the same video that was in the first post. I was so influenced by that video that I didn't pick up a saw until my Labonville's arrived. That was probably 4 years ago. I don't cut without them. If it is hot I just wear shorts under the chaps. I got mine from Bailieys, and was most impressed with the speed of delivery. Get them, wear them!!!! Best deal going for safety. JR

This is a subject that comes up fairly regulary, but, this is the first time I can remember such a positive reponse to wearing protective gear. Over here I have no choice we have to by law when working in a public place or wherever your job happens to be wear full gear all of it must be type approved to European standards so it costs an average of $600 just to get dressed to go to work !
To be fair the construction of the trousers, no chaps for us !, have gone from like wearing two quilts wraped around your legs to the latest Stihl Advance Plus range which are more than easy to wear and I would highly recomend them they cost a bit but for working all day in they are hard to beat.

$70.00...

...an ER visit for a chain cut could easily be 20 times that number.

Don't forget, a saw chain isn't like a knife. The chain will leave a kerf in your body......

One day I had a Doctor in picking up some chains I had sharpened for him. He made exactly the same comment to a fellow contemplating investing in a pair. Needless to say-He left with them and I use the same conversation to convince others to do the same......

Chaps--yes---easy on/off---done while your saw warms
Pants--if you prefer, but if you cut dailly, I hope you have a spare pair or don't go anywhere bw washings.
Labonville or Elvex----I believe that Stihls are Elvex??
Wash---some brands yes, others no.
Buckles snagging??---I don't have that problem, but they do make it harder to walk--then again, so does a leg full of stitches
Cut with a knife---nice, even. Cut with a saw----big, nasty kerf.
Washing---some say ok, others say not.
BugzEye---try them, you will like them.
Boots----at least steel toe, preferably with Kevlar--look at the chart with the injury patterns.
Helmet----lots of people should.....some don't have enough brain to they should...
Ear plugs and muffs----As necessary as chaps.

Not using PPE-----TOOOOPID!

Chaps--yes---easy on/off---done while your saw warms
Pants--if you prefer, but if you cut dailly, I hope you have a spare pair or don't go anywhere bw washings.
Labonville or Elvex----I believe that Stihls are Elvex??
Wash---some brands yes, others no.
Buckles snagging??---I don't have that problem, but they do make it harder to walk--then again, so does a leg full of stitches
Cut with a knife---nice, even. Cut with a saw----big, nasty kerf.
Washing---some say ok, others say not.
BugzEye---try them, you will like them.
Boots----at least steel toe, preferably with Kevlar--look at the chart with the injury patterns.
Helmet----lots of people should.....some don't have enough brain to they should...
Ear plugs and muffs----As necessary as chaps.

Not using PPE-----TOOOOPID!

I just scored a pair of Bugz last week, they work like a champ and you gotta love the Mad Max factor :rock:

I've worn the Elvex chaps and the Labonville chaps. I wear the inserts now, two snaps and they're in - or out.

As far as chaps, preferred the Elvex over the Labonville in terms of fit. The Elvex had three straps, making the chaps fit better. The Labonvilles only had two straps, making it too loose behind the knee.

All three are hot, the inserts, maybe just a tad less.

I like not having any straps and stuff dangling when cutting in areas with lots of brush. If you make low stumps you will get caught on something. And then you'll cuss :laugh:

Husqvarna pro forest pants

I have the husqvarna pro forest chainsaw pants and I like them alot. The calves have a full wrap of protection, and above the knees its very lightweight on the backside in comparison to the front. I wore them yesterday for a few hours in 80 degree weather and I didnt drop dead from heat stoke. In fact I was somewhat surprised at how "not hot" they are. One word of caution....they are sized BIG.

Regarding having the straps snag - my pair of Stihl chaps keep trying to trip me up. Maybe it's the way I walk, but the toe of my boot often catches the side of the chap on the other leg. I'll have to pay more attention to what's happening and see if an extra strap or Velcro loop will keep me from being killed by my PPE.

Regarding having the straps snag - my pair of Stihl chaps keep trying to trip me up. Maybe it's the way I walk, but the toe of my boot often catches the side of the chap on the other leg.

Sounds like you may be quite pigeon-toed. Lucky for me, I'm very slew-footed and have no such issues.:D

Seriously, I've had no problems with snagging my chaps or getting tripped-up. Usually, when I'm cutting, I'm moving slowly and stepping rather deliberately. The chaps are great for wading through thorny brush with wild abandon, though.

I acquired a set of Stihl chaps over the winter and intend to start using them when the saw is running. I haven't had a close call YET, but you just never know. I figured now that I'm a dad, I need to be a little more cautious so I can enjoy my time with my little girl instead of hobbling around with 100 stitches in my leg.

They can be nice when it's really cold out. Other than that though, they are a complete PITA!! I cant count the times I have sustained minor injuries from chaps snagging something and me falling like a tree. The saw becomes the least of concerns when things get screwey, thats when you want to be able to beat feat FAST if you need to.
I have seen guys that really did need them, but I feel safer without. Usually you can tell who needs them after a week. If you give them an un cut pair and they have a cut in them at the end of the week. If you feel that you may need them, get them, all we need is more guys going to the Doc and getting the insurance people involved..
I am forced to wear them by law for the most part..

Glad to hear everyone has such positive reviews and opinions about using chaps, I will be getting myself a pair ASAP. I don't know what my recent hang up is on safety, at one time I would have watched that video and just said "cool, but that would never happen to me". I guess it has to do with me coming out of the "young and dumb" stage of my life.

Well I'm sure everything has been said in this thread all ready but....

I was glad I had my chaps on today when my chain came off and whacked me along the length of my right leg....Similarly a few weeks ago,I was again glad I had them on while cutting up a nasty blown down pile of cedars,I had the chain get pulled off and it hit me right in the family jewels:msp_ohmy:.....No damage done either time but it made me think about the unexpected things that can happen.

Thanks for the video.

I was glad I had my chaps on today when my chain came off and whacked me along the length of my right leg....Similarly a few weeks ago,I was again glad I had them on while cutting up a nasty blown down pile of cedars,I had the chain get pulled off and it hit me right in the family jewels:msp_ohmy:.....No damage done either time but it made me think about the unexpected things that can happen.

Thanks for the video.

It's a good thing you had the chaps, but I'd definitely be taking a look at that saw. Chain came off twice in that short of a time period? You're just asking for injury if you don't get that straightened out.

Latest posts

Back