Maybe I should change my mind on getting a pair of chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The full wrap chaps provide more protection, and the heavier chaps (more layers) provide more protection. But if you don't need all of those layers, and if don't sometimes wear them because they are too bulky, and hot, and heavy, you might be better off with a lighter, standard pair.

Suspenders go a long way in making chaps comfortable to wear.

I bought a pair of the Jonsered pants to try, because I got a good deal on them. As others noted, you can't take them off during a break when they get hot, or if you are doing something else for a while, like moving brush.

And you need to clean them more often as you are wearing them as clothing. I might wear them if I know I will be cutting all day.

Being able to try them on before you buy is a bonus. Bottom line is to get something that you will wear.

Philbert

Chaps

Chaps like any other piece of clothing need to be a good fit to you the wearer. I seen a idiot wearin a pair of chaps that went clear to the toe, he say they were safer :dizzy: Chap need to be the correct length for your leg length. they need to be around 4" shorter then your standard pant leg measurement.

I don't know what my recent hang up is on safety, at one time I would have watched that video and just said "cool, but that would never happen to me". I guess it has to do with me coming out of the "young and dumb" stage of my life.

Wait until you get a kid that depends on you and your ability to put food on the table, keep a roof over his head, and play with him when you are dog tired and just want to sit. It is then that you start to realize that there are others who depend on your well being, who are totally dependant on you, and who love you with total abandon, and who need you to come home in one piece.

I am amazed at some of the advice given, you only have one chance when that chain hits your leg and 99.9% of the time you dont even get one chance.... it is too late.
we wear full protection trousers or you call them pants. They can be hot but they are getting better every year, lighter and more flexable. like most things here in the UK they are over priced but what price would you put on your legs or life.

Stay safe :dizzy:

OK - Here are a few more!:

YouTube - Labonville Chainsaw Chaps

YouTube - Testing Old Chainsaw Chaps

(Hey I was there! That's at one of Grandpatractors' GTG!)

YouTube - Chainsaw boots test
(I wasn't there - looks like Italy!)

Philbert

I also seen both of those "tests" but I put no merit in either one. In the first one they have the chaps strapped to a solid log, my legs in no way resemble solid wood. In the second one they did not even strap the chaps to anything, though you could tell those chaps were old junk to start with.

It's a good thing you had the chaps, but I'd definitely be taking a look at that saw. Chain came off twice in that short of a time period? You're just asking for injury if you don't get that straightened out.

Thanks for your concern...... I think the crap I was cutting had more to do with the chain coming off then anything...Like I said it was a nasty pile of blown down junk ..lots of stuff under tension with a longer- ish bar (28") and full skip full chisel chain is sorta grabby in those conditions...not the best choice of bar and chain but all I had at time.:(

Chaps don't provide any protection for your dingus. . .

You are correct sir,but the way I was standing the chain hit me through the three layers of my chaps,pants and skivvies....which I was glad for.:msp_biggrin:

Like everything else, chaps have improved. I had knee length chaps made of canvas, fiberglass and leather, they were good for soaking up bar oil. I used them when I had to. If you feel that you need them, you probably do. Either than the discomfort, the only thing about chaps that I have seen, is the guys who wear them "mostly" and forget they don't have them on, messy.

I also seen both of those "tests" but I put no merit in either one. . . .

Absolutely. None of the YouTube videos are scientific (well maybe the last boot test one is). There are many factors, such as the speed ahd HP of the saw, type and sharpness of the chain, force of impact, where on the chaps/leg the chain hits, etc.

But they are all graphic demonstrations that help make points. the Washington State one is also my favorite. The other 2 demonstrate that not all chaps are the same, or provide equal protection.

Philbert

Chap need to be the correct length for your leg length. they need to be around 4" shorter then your standard pant leg measurement.

A lot of people get this wrong and order using their pants inseam measurement (crotch to cuff). Most chaps are measured from the top of the belt to the bottom of the chaps pad. As noted in earlier posts, this may depend on where you like to cinch your chaps belt, which may be different than where you wear your pants.

On Labonville's website,; "Sizing Your Chaps: Measure from your belt to your instep and order our chaps by their 'overall length'". (other companies may do it differently).

Philbert

That there vid gives me an idea on how to carve the Easter ham.

Pretty shocking what a chain can do to flesh eh?

Get a pair and wear them. I was up cutting fire wood years ago and there was a guy down the road from the landing I was cutting on, my buddy told me we should check on the guy, his saw was idling for ten minutes. We got down the road on full throttle run figuring he was in trouble. I turned the corner of the hill and he was laying on the side of the road with his right thigh slashed wide open, I used every piece of gauge in my trauma bag plus three shirts to stop the bleeding. Needless to say he was lucky to be alive. I went the next day and bought several pairs of chaps. As a former EMT I have seen saw injuries and I think chaps are a good investment to reduce the potential injury. Chaps need regular inspection and need to be washed every few months of full time use. I replace mine every 4 years regardless of use, if damaged they are thrown away.

Several pairs of chaps? Stocking up? :msp_rolleyes:

chaps

I've had husky and stihl Chaps. My new stihl pants are made in the USA and are quite comfortable. they recommend washing.

I tested the husky pants when I was chainsaw carving at a large show...yes lots of people with there eyes on Me... Or I should say showing off :rock:....The Husky chaps stopped the saw before any damage was done....(Ranking pretty high on the most embarrassing moments of My life.) My saw thoroughly jammed with fluff. I picked up My other saw and thoughtfully finished the carving demonstration.

I've had husky and stihl Chaps. My new stihl pants are made in the USA and are quite comfortable. they recommend washing.

I tested the husky pants when I was chainsaw carving at a large show...yes lots of people with there eyes on Me... Or I should say showing off :rock:....The Husky chaps stopped the saw before any damage was done....(Ranking pretty high on the most embarrassing moments of My life.) My saw thoroughly jammed with fluff. I picked up My other saw and thoughtfully finished the carving demonstration.

now thats what i call showmanship :)

Back