Maybe This Has Been Done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I maintain you can't know this until a saw has proven itself over a number of years, but I could be wrong.

Pound for pound, regardless of price, and size, what is the best chainsaw ever made? and why do you think so?

Stihl MS460 and 461R
I did a weight test on my new 461R and a 372xp the 461 has a good edge over the 372 and weighs only 2 oz more than the 372 and it has a wrap handle. Both have 20" bar on them and are empty. Both saws are awsome but I'll grab a 461 over the 372. Stihl 361 sure is nice also for its weight.
IMAG0070_zpse2740d52.jpg
IMAG0071_zps3cb92c43.jpg
IMAG0068_zps7b91bc31.jpg

Stihl MS460 and 461R
I did a weight test on my new 461R and a 372xp the 461 has a good edge over the 372 and weighs only 2 oz more than the 372 and it has a wrap handle. Both have 20" bar on them and are empty. Both saws are awsome but I'll grab a 461 over the 372. Stihl 361 sure is nice also for its weight.
IMAG0070_zpse2740d52.jpg
IMAG0071_zps3cb92c43.jpg
IMAG0068_zps7b91bc31.jpg

I see you've kept your box for the 461r...I got mine still too, for some reason or another I've been hanging onto it, not too sure why

That it is and it ain't plastic. The McCulloch 797 was God's gift for PNW Old Growth, nothing else can match it.

Ya, thats the thing, for the .0001% of chainsaw users who ever touched those sort of trees, theres that, but all the other users and trees?

So whats the best chainsaw ever made for other than those big guys?

Its too broad, the eastern deciduous firewood guys might have a completely different criteria, then the tree climbers, then the millers, pulpwood etc.

We need classifications for all of this.

I havent run enough myself to have any sort of credible nomination, so I wont, other than all the saws I own and have run so far, considering the era it was made, the poulan 245a is a heckuva decent all around saw. I dont know what the other guys had at the time, for comparison, but if there was anything better in that size class in that time frame, Id like to know what it was..

I was going to say a Poulan S25DA. 25+ years of fire wood cutting and still going strong. The only major repair I have done is to replace the fuel line. Still cuts near as good as my 346XP NE

Pound for pound it would hard to beat. (8.9 lbs) powerhead

He hangs onto the box in case that stihl gotta go back to be returned after trying a new auto tune from husky :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Back