Maybe This Has Been Done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read on a few different threads here recently,any of the Echo's.:jester:
My choice(not living in big wood territory)for power,handling,relaibility,ease of maintenance,looks and just overall cool factor......

Model Profile: 5000 plusH plus

Hands down,it just screams "beastie" sitting there. :rock:

This very topic was my reason for coming to this site. With all the EPA regs taking a crap on my 2-stroke tools and fuel, I wanted to pick up a saw or two. I could see immediately that typical AS members have very different ideas about what makes a great saw. For some it's got a lot to do with the sound. Others the displacement. Many are into cookies. Most are focused primarily on power to weight. Some more experienced (my impression) members focus on "feel" or "handling".

Ya, thats the thing, for the .0001% of chainsaw users who ever touched those sort of trees, theres that, but all the other users and trees?

So whats the best chainsaw ever made for other than those big guys?

Its too broad, the eastern deciduous firewood guys might have a completely different criteria, then the tree climbers, then the millers, pulpwood etc.

We need classifications for all of this.

I havent run enough myself to have any sort of credible nomination, so I wont, other than all the saws I own and have run so far, considering the era it was made, the poulan 245a is a heckuva decent all around saw. I dont know what the other guys had at the time, for comparison, but if there was anything better in that size class in that time frame, Id like to know what it was..

Sometimes I forget the World has become a plastic mini motor weinerville.

I see you've kept your box for the 461r...I got mine still too, for some reason or another I've been hanging onto it, not too sure why

i hang on to the stihl boxes to ship husky pwr heads in .:msp_wink:

Last edited:
IMHO the RedMax GZ4000 I got a month back. Not interested in macho quals- give us a break.

With about 10 tanks through it, with a sharp chain, this saw rips through oak with its 16" bar buried. Runs half the morning (almost) on its little 10 oz tank of mix. YES to stratos. :hmm3grin2orange:

Great AV and (fully stock) muffler. So nimble and light, I've run it all day, until sundown stopped the show. Did I mention that its exhaust fumes will not beat you down? Stratos have clean breath.

For wood less than, say, 20" it's become my GoTo for felling, bucking, and limbing. Competitors in its "class" go for $200 more. C'mon, no-brainer.

Only WTF was the choke/fast-idle control for starting.

It's all just opinion I know, but some opinions are better informed than others. you may own a lot of saws but when you want to cut wood there is one you will pick up first. Being a retired General Contractor, and builder, I always knew when I had bought a good tool because I found myself using it when I needed a tool to do what it was made to do. A well made tool is a joy to use.

Last edited:
Ya, thats the thing, for the .0001% of chainsaw users who ever touched those sort of trees, theres that, but all the other users and trees?

So whats the best chainsaw ever made for other than those big guys?

Its too broad, the eastern deciduous firewood guys might have a completely different criteria, then the tree climbers, then the millers, pulpwood etc.

We need classifications for all of this.

I havent run enough myself to have any sort of credible nomination, so I wont, other than all the saws I own and have run so far, considering the era it was made, the poulan 245a is a heckuva decent all around saw. I dont know what the other guys had at the time, for comparison, but if there was anything better in that size class in that time frame, Id like to know what it was..

Maybe, but 2 of the 3 797s I have came from east of Chicago and cut something before I got them.

Sometimes I forget the World has become a plastic mini motor weinerville.

I choose the one I don't yet have. PM800 with a 28".

Maybe, but 2 of the 3 797s I have came from east of Chicago and cut something before I got them.

I choose the one I don't yet have. PM800 with a 28".

002-1.jpg

The 850 has better lines.

From what I've read on a few different threads here recently,any of the Echo's.:jester:
My choice(not living in big wood territory)for power,handling,relaibility,ease of maintenance,looks and just overall cool factor......

Model Profile: 5000 plusH plus

Hands down,it just screams "beastie" sitting there. :rock:

I agree I am not a logger but I own about 10 5000+ and 4 500's really light, powerfull, reliable,Never even consider buying a new saw myself.My first 1983 5000+ will start right up and run all day nice little saw's

Back