McCulloch 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Ran across this today. Seems complete and not broken up, pull rope is out so couldn't check the engine.
Mainly looking for input on this. How desirable is it? Any collector value?mac1.jpg mac2.jpg

Hey RUSTY --I mean sleepy LOL--I have a few. Would be good to pull starter cover and see if engine will turn over or locked up--I guess locked due to corrosion. These are good running saws and well made. Do not blame me if you get cad. Good project-good luck. Show op how it is locked up/pull cord and offer $20--I would buy--But I love cheap basket cases!! David--Come on over to the vintage chainsaw collectors lounge.

Those things are a true boss of a saw. I had one, and gave it away to a friend. You could stand on the thing with a 24" bar buried and not stall it. The torque of these old pieces of vintage art is what makes a saw a great one.

Y,all are making me want to get this thing running, and keep it.
What about parts?
How does it compare to a 288XP?

Y,all are making me want to get this thing running, and keep it.
What about parts?
How does it compare to a 288XP?

Parts are fairly easy to find, there are still NOS parts out there, as well as parts saws. As stated above the 250 you can stand on them all day and not stop it, but a 288 weighs less (not a lot but noticeable) and won't wear you out as fast. But the 288 is no slouch either, decent balance of bottom-end power and chain speed, works great with a 24" bar with full skip chain.

It is kind of ironic, but I have found that a thick layer of bar oil/chips/sludge covering an old magnesium saw seem to offer a better degree of protection from the elements as compared to a clean-as-a-whistle saw that has been sitting for years. It is like cosmoline for metal. One of the worst things to do to a magnesium saw is to leave it sitting directly on top of concrete, especially if there is any moisture present. The underside will corrode away like crazy once the paint has been scratched or worn away. Noticed on the pic of the 250 that the rubber spark plug cover is missing. That is required so as to keep the air flow from the flywheel blowing across the cylinder head so as not to overheat the saw. Otherwise, a good deal of the cooling air just blows out of that opening. The covers were used on a wide variety of Mac saws & kart motors. They had been in such demand that they have been brought back as an aftermarket replacement item.

Back