McCulloch 6-10 Auto - Japanese made parts??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaspowered

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just did a complete de-greasing and tune up of my late grandfather's McCulloch 6-10 Automatic. It hasn't been cleaned or serviced since 1983. I pulled the flywheel to inspect the points, and after cleaning and setting the gap, I noticed that all of the black plastic parts that made up the points housing were all made in Japan. I always thought older McCullochs were 100% U.S. made. I do know that later on most of their lawn equipment was made by Echo or Tanaka. If anyone knows why the plastics are made in Japan, or who made them, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Could you post some photos of the plastic parts that indicate they were made in Japan? I have worked on quite a few McCulloch saws and never noticed any plastic parts that said made in Japan. There were a number of vintage carburetor kits that were made in Japan though many were for the Zama carburetors used on later Mini Mac and 82 cc 10 Series saws as well as the 300 Series and 600 Series.

McCulloch did have a presence in Japan but I was not aware of any actual manufacturing taking place there. They did have a large distributor there, by some reports they had a very large inventory of some 10 Series models and were able to sell new saws long after they went out of production in the west.

If you have any documentation on the McCulloch branded Echo/Tanaka stuff I would be interested as well. To the best of my knowledge, McCulloch made all of their own equipment other that the notable exceptions like the PM1000 (Partner 100), the Dolmars marketed in Australia as McCulloch, and the Titan and DE50 saws made "in an Italian McCulloch factory".

Mark

Koyo ball bearing, made in Japan. Not sure why you would think Mccullochs were all an USA product. Mcculloch had some sort of relationship with Echo(whatever it was called back then) in terms of non chainsaw products, string trimmers, etc.

I'll
Could you post some photos of the plastic parts that indicate they were made in Japan? I have worked on quite a few McCulloch saws and never noticed any plastic parts that said made in Japan. There were a number of vintage carburetor kits that were made in Japan though many were for the Zama carburetors used on later Mini Mac and 82 cc 10 Series saws as well as the 300 Series and 600 Series.

McCulloch did have a presence in Japan but I was not aware of any actual manufacturing taking place there. They did have a large distributor there, by some reports they had a very large inventory of some 10 Series models and were able to sell new saws long after they went out of production in the west.

If you have any documentation on the McCulloch branded Echo/Tanaka stuff I would be interested as well. To the best of my knowledge, McCulloch made all of their own equipment other that the notable exceptions like the PM1000 (Partner 100), the Dolmars marketed in Australia as McCulloch, and the Titan and DE50 saws made "in an Italian McCulloch factory".

Mark
I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. The only evidence I have of Echo or Tanaka making stuff for them is some equipment that i've had over the years. I have a McCulloch Mac-60a trimmer that uses an Echo Kioritz engine, and the same power unit can be found in many different brands of trimmers from the 80's, such as Hoffco and some Sears/Craftsman trimmers. I also have a Super Air Stream IV blower/vac, and apparently, Tanaka made the same exact model in their colors, and it was called the THB-2100. It's kinda strange that the Mac 60 uses almost the same engine as the blowers but it's apparently an Echo. I don't know if Tanaka and Echo were connected at some point, but I do know that Ariens was part of Tanaka in the 80's. I don't think Ariens made any two-stroke equipment as far as I know.

Koyo ball bearing, made in Japan. Not sure why you would think Mccullochs were all an USA product. Mcculloch had some sort of relationship with Echo(whatever it was called back then) in terms of non chainsaw products, string trimmers, etc.
The only McCulloch bearings i've dealt with were in a 4 hp air-cooled outboard, and it used Torrington needle bearings and I believe a Korean one. I just thought that pre-1970 saws used all U.S parts. I haven't dealt with many older McCullochs with foreign parts, with the exception of some 3200 series saws with Chinese carbs and other junk.

Latest posts

Back