McCulloch 7-10 Autos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodeobob

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought these two a while back.
Not sure why. Gotta hate eBay. Well I know why, I was going that way to pick up something else I probably should not have bothered buying.

Not so sure it was a wise investment. Thoughts anyone???

View attachment 260523
View attachment 260524
View attachment 260525
View attachment 260526
View attachment 260527

Any ideas on the age/year of these.

Gave them a bit of a clean and had a good look at them for the first time today.
The one with the chain brake has some damage around the bar adjustment screw. The band doesnt sit well over the drum either. Im thinking its got an 050 chain on it it might even be LP, has a rim sprocket setup.
The other saw has 063 on it and a regular sprocket.

Both have good comp.
Looked in the fuel tanks, both are bone dry. Thought about fueling them up and having a go but couldnt be bothered.

Small saw for the cc.

I think they are fantastic saws, but I'm biased. My very first saw was a 7-10A, I never should have let it get away. I'm not sure the actual 7-10A ever had a chain brake, it may be from a later model. They started out back in the early 70's are were superseded by the Pro Mac 700 IIRC. Lot of snort for a small powerhead. The lack of modern AV will give you "cutters curl" though. Back in the day I thought it was great that the curl left my fingers in the perfect shape to hold a long neck, like it was meant to be. :msp_wink:

My 7-10A is a 1970 vintage. It has no chain brake either. The one pictured on Acres web site shows one. Agree it seems small for a 70cc saw. I run a 20" Mac hard-nose bar and it pulls it well.

Do you think it would pull much more than a 20"???

I was thinking of setting up the non brake saw on a little home made alaskan.
Might be a 10" or so longer bar but it wouldnt be cutting any more than 20" of timber.

Reason I ask is that I see tanks are pretty easy to get NOS on eBay so I could get one modified to fill with the saw on its side.

I suppose my next question would be, what pattern is the bar???

Ive got two PM610's and a 650, the latter has the same as one of the 7-10's. Rectangular holes.
The 610's have the same as the 7-10 and its the same pattern as an echo. Oval holes.

I assume the first is correct for the 7-10.
But is the echo one ok to use.

I ran my Dad's 7-10 for his yearly firewood supply in 2009.
That thing had a great power vs weight in its day.
Ran a tank out of it this fall just to let it know its not forgotten...

I suppose my next question would be, what pattern is the bar???

Ive got two PM610's and a 650, the latter has the same as one of the 7-10's. Rectangular holes.
The 610's have the same as the 7-10 and its the same pattern as an echo. Oval holes.

I assume the first is correct for the 7-10.
But is the echo one ok to use.

The current mount for the PM610 series and 10-series saws is the older medium-largePoulan/10-series Mac/large-Echo Oregon D176 mount. Still being produced. The old "Mac only" bar for these was the Oregon D276 a Windsor TMX. The Echo bar is fine, so long as there are oil passages that run from those oval (or rectangular) oiler/adjuster holes to the bar rail. The sepperate oiler holes that may be on the bar are unused by the McCulloch saws (they're intended for the Poulans and Echos).

Latest posts

Back