McCulloch mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure.... It could happen to any saw.

Still upset I tried to deter you from porting an 08S?
I'm not a die hard STIHL fan. I drink the orange koolaid too! The green koolaid, blue koolaid, red koolaid......

If you need 08/08s parts I have a few. Including a complete crankcase.
Just let me know & they're yours.

No hard feelings Mr.Mac

No, not upset over your idea to NOT port that old saw. I'm simply doing what the customer wants me to do. He doesn't want to spend 300+ on a saw and then pay to have it ported... he'd rather do it on a saw he happens to snag for cheap. This cheap project 08 got a little more expensive due to it needing a new cylinder. In any case, it'll still cost less than a new MS260 and probably out cut it too, once I'm done tweaking it.

I get what you're saying. Even with all of this work, I still don't charge him as much as MM and others here do. I don't get as involved (cut squish band, weld pop up, modify transfers, etc.) and thus it doesn't cost as much. Pretty much just a good woods port and compression increase. Nothing too fancy, and certainly no pipe since he wants a good work saw.

MrRogers, let us know when you get that Timber Bear back online. Some don't like that saw, but some like I do. I've got three runners right now. If anything, they are reliable saws given it's taken care of.

Got the chain. Any other recommendations on what I should check/replace prior to getting this saw working hard? I've already replaced the spark plug, cleaned the carb and air filter and drained fuel. She seems to run fine but I am a man who likes to keep things for a while so any recommendations are appreciated.

I'll let you know how I like it. I hope to pick your brains when I can convince the wife I need to add to my collection :msp_thumbup:

One thing to watch out for on these saws is that the bar oil tank may leak. Some more than others. It seems that if you get mad at the 610 and throw it onto the ground, bottom first, you will break the oil tank seal and it'll pee bar oil all over whatever you set it on.

Other thing is the ignition coil. Keep it real clean, and don't let dust pack in the air space around it. It'll die a lot faster if you don't keep it clean.

Otherwise, these saws seem to be one of the more reliable ones out there. In some areas, though, parts can be harder to find, as well as some being plain expensive. A NOS piston is 95 bucks from some places.

Take care of it and it'll take care of you and all of the fire wood you can throw at it.

Latest posts

Back