McGuire Stoves take delivery of first professionally built factory stove prototype

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The optimists here prolly don't watch "Shark Tank" on a regular basis.
The pessimists do.
The realists have watched enough episodes to side with the pessimists.

I'm an optimist but first I'm a realist and until proven otherwise I'll go by the old saying " if it claims to work a miracle it will be a miracle if it works "

The pessimists do.

I spent a fortune on my patents. Didn't make a fortune.

These days I tell people to forget about (most) of the patents and get busy making the stuff and selling it.

Back to reality. What is lava? It's rock. Silicates and other such stuff. That's all - no magical qualities except you can rub it on your foot to remove bunions. Mankind has used "rocks" for thousands of years in order to improve combustion - that is, a fire cradled by mass will usually burn hotter than one being cooled too much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiln

Hmm, looks like kilns were being used before the earth existed (according to the nye/ham debate the other night!).....

Let's be clear here. A baffle or firebox lining made of firebrick, soapstone, lava rock, refractory or furnace cement will burn cleaner than a liner with ice water being flushed through it! Again, that's not an industrial or trade secret, but has been known for hundreds or thousands of years.

In terms of a residential wood stove - it's virtually impossible that something like this will meet the new (or existing, for that matter) EPA standards without vast R&D and changes. I know a lot of the people who actually develop stoves and it takes them many years (and lots of $$$) even with a full EPA test lab inside their factory....to get things right.

Yes, certain things can happen "outside the box", but not this one! The modern world is built on science, engineering and chemistry. Stoves and combustion can be modeled on a computer without even building the things! As Mr. Nye says "We can predict, using science, what is likely to happen".

A search for patents granted and a search for patents applied for both came up empty. If there are actually patent applications, post the numbers.

I'm thinking I should probably lock this thread down, but I'm not gonna, just on the off chance something useful comes out of it.

Personally, it sounds to me like scam city. It's probably no coincidence that this new "wonder stove" shows up when conditions are perfect for it, with the coldest winter we've had in years in most of the US combined with through the roof propane prices. People are more willing to believe hogwash when they think it will work for them. Just like all the mileage improving hocus pocus that shows up every time fuel prices spike.

DB360, I think you already know this, but I'm a moderator here. There have already been some questions raised about your posts on this being non-sponsor selling. You're darn close to crossing that line. I don't know if you're just a true believer, or if you've got a connection to these guys, for all we know, you could be the guy himself. We will be happy to read some facts on this, IE test results from an accredited lab, but if you just want to keep throwing out the guy's sales pitch, we will have to take some action. Send me a PM (conversation) if you'd like to discuss this privately.

You can burn green wood in anything in which you can manage to get it lit. As the water boils out the wood burns. As the steam goes up the flue so does the energy required to bring it to boil. I don't see anything that would make lighting green wood any easier with that stove, nor anything that would reclaim the lost energy (and doing so would clearly mean the water would condense again).

I have to wonder why he would make a video like that - what was he hoping to accomplish? To say it was unimpressive would be a major understatement. What was with the attitude and body language?

There is a patent pending steam turbine and condensate trap in the chimney. Yep, it turns that lost BTU into electricity that you can use in your house. Otherwise all that wasted BTU would float away with the wind. You actually need to burn green wood for this to work, a LOT of it. :laugh:

I know nothing about this guy.

So what was I supposed to be impressed about regarding his "innovation"?

Some years ago [25? or ] I read about a guy that had invented a way to dry lumber in the log, no degrading or checking, very minimal energy use. He was waiting for someone like Weyerhaeuser to come up with a million dollars or more to buy his process. Seeing as how they're still sticking lumber [not logs] into kilns, I guess it was just a lot of hot air. Or condensate up a chimney................

i withholding judgment but can he show how the stove works in a basic format? i am not expecting detailed plans to build it but a simple break down of how it functions would be interesting to see. i would guess it to be something similar to a cat stove but don't want to assume. you know what they say about people that do that!

Yeah, I'm withholding judgment also.
But I will say this... the more I read how it ain't possible from the "engineering types", the more I begin thinking it is.
Ya' know... My Log Boss splitter was invented in a garage (pretty much still built in a garage), and even after near 35 years I still have "engineer types" tell me that what it does ain't possible... must be magic I guess :D

Never discount a guy sitting in his garage thinking, "I can do this"!
Final judgement pending, but...

The pessimists do.

I am not a regular viewer but i have seen several episodes. They seem to review wither or not the company/person is worth investing, not if product works or not. Obviously it better work for them to invest but many have walked out with working products they didn’t feel the need to invest in.
I am skeptical; he does not portray a great clean salesman attitude. I work with salesmen and they can talk a good game but ARE NOT the guys who are working up new ideas and such. I also work with them, and some of them are not the greatest socially but are gifted in creating something from nothing.

The thing I don't understand is how does this get the heat from the stove to your house? If this lava rock secondary burn thing gets so super hot that it burns all smoke, how does it not burn down the house? All the pictures of it I see it is standing out in the middle of a garage or something and is pretty good size. How does someone put this inside there house with a 7-1/2 ft. ceiling? Then what does it need quadruple wall chimney liner and thimble? All that heat has to go someplace?

Approaching this with a skeptical but open mind, I've heard nothing of substance and seen nothing but arm-waving. Being an "engineering-type" as the pulsating one puts it, absent that, gotta call it smoke.
Being a true-believer doesn't get-r-done.

Touting a stove to burn green wood just demonstrates ignorance of basic physics, IMHO. Burning water? Really?

The thing I don't understand is how does this get the heat from the stove to your house? If this lava rock secondary burn thing gets so super hot that it burns all smoke, how does it not burn down the house? All the pictures of it I see it is standing out in the middle of a garage or something and is pretty good size. How does someone put this inside there house with a 7-1/2 ft. ceiling? Then what does it need quadruple wall chimney liner and thimble? All that heat has to go someplace?

I've been burning stoves since 1972 and in the biz since 1978 - seen and heard it all.

There was a stove back then advertised as actually channeling magic and pyramids! Yes. The sales rep tried to sell me on it and told me it heated far rooms of the house without it (the stove) getting very hot. I opened the door of the single wall steel stove, took a look inside and told the rep "Tell you what. Let me fire this up, you drop your pants and sit your arse on there for 60 seconds, and then I'll buy a truckload.

You are correct about heat, though. If heat is being generated, it can be easily measured. I bought some of the first catalytic stoves back in 1982 and put a temp probe in the cat. I ran the sucker up to 2000 degrees F.

This lava dude claims temps up to 1000, well below those generated by just a "plain fire" in a box.

I like his spirit, but he's applying it in the wrong place.

The easiest part of McGuire StoveWorks, Inc. might have been the inventing itself.
Things like financing, production, certification, marketing, distribution, etc. are all torpedoes that could sink the good ship if it ever gets out of dry dock.

i withholding judgment but can he show how the stove works in a basic format? i am not expecting detailed plans to build it but a simple break down of how it functions would be interesting to see. i would guess it to be something similar to a cat stove but don't want to assume. you know what they say about people that do that!

I was also hoping for this. Schematics, a cross cut, an explanation, something.

I wish him luck though. He seems to be one of those guys whose mind is always going.

Back