Mculloch Mini-Mac 35 brake and flywheel installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joej68

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finished my mini-Mac 35 refurbish but when I install the flywheel and tighten the nut the brake nut becomes loose and vise-versa. I place a socket wrench on the nut on the flywheel and box wrench on brake nut .If I tighten one end of crankshaft, the nut on the brake come loose. What am I doing wrong? Please help
Joe J

Tom described the "by the book" method although some McCulloch documents show blocking the flywheel with a screwdriver through the fins as an alternative.

I use an impact drive and bump the flywheel snug first, then hold the flywheel while tightening the clutch/nut (some use a nut to hold the flywheel in place, others have a threaded clutch...) with the impact driver.

The flywheel is RH threads and the clutch/nut is LH threads so you can't use them in combination or one or both will loosen.

Mark

Be
Use some rope in the cylinder to stop the piston. Make sure you don’t get it caught in the ports. Piston needs to be at TDC,
I put the piston TDC was able to tighten the flywheel clockwise; then I turned the piston again counterclockwise and tightened the clutch counterclockwise. I pulled the recoil starter 4 or 5 times and the clutch started to unscrew from the shaft. What did I do wrong?

I put the piston TDC and put the rope into the cylinder to lock the flywheel and next I locked the piston again counterclockwise and was able to tightened the clutch. I then pulled the recoil starter 4 times and the clutch started to unscrew from the shaft. What did I do wrong?

Hi,
I finally was able to get flywheel nut and clutch nut tight without either one getting loose. It was due to your assistance. Thank you all for taking the time to help
me. Happy Fourth of July to all the group!
Joe J

Latest posts

Back