Measuring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In times past, the King of England set the length of the foot by measuring his foot. The yard was the distance from his nose the the end of his out stretched thumb tip. Now, if you were buying land, wouldn't you want to buy when the king was tall and be taxed when the king was short? After some time an agreement was made about a standard unit of measure that was uniform. After that, a foot was a foot. Of course the meter unit makes much more sense and is based on science...another topic.

Until there was an agreement on measuring, everyone would disagree on what was "right". How do we measure anything? Who's responsibility is it to know when standards change? How is that information disseminated?

If you are asked to bid on a job, don't you want to know what measuring stick is being used? If you buy any volume, are you getting liters or quarts? Two sodas that are the same price. One a quart, one a "leeter bit more". Which is the better deal? Give me the liter. If you don't know how much you're being sold, you're loosing. If you don't know what the standards of practice are, you're loosing.

Have any of the "price complainers" written to anyone on the Z committee to find out why the Z isn't given away for free? Do you realize that involvement on the Z committee is volunteer?

After reading TOO MANY POOR reasons for arbos not buying and/or reading the Z133 standard, I can see that some folks feel that being measured by the kings foot is close enough. Not for me! Anyone who is objecting to buying the standards knows that the Z exists. How can we expect to be taken seriously if we, as professionals, don't hold each other accountable? It's not about money. If anyone can't afford to buy the Z or A300, then maybe you should down grade the quality of beer that you buy for a week. Instead of buying a new biner, buy the Z. I'm really getting tired of hearing about cheapsters.

I'm also getting bored hearing about how it;s the NAA and ISA job to promote quality tree work. Why not take on that job yourself? Are you active in your local chapter or arbo association? A couple of bumper stickers come to mind:

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

If it's to be, it's up to me.

Clacking teeth on the sidelines isn't professional.

Tom

Here's an offer to anyone who has taken the time to read my rantings and feels that they can't afford a copy of the Z. The first person who needs a copy and calls me, I'll give you my extra copy of the Z. Call be in the evening, Central time. I'm certainly not hard to find on the internet. You'll have to look up my number. I'll let you know when I get the call.

Tom,

Well put!!!

"I'm really getting tired of hearing about cheapsters.

I'm also getting bored hearing about how it;s the NAA and ISA job to promote quality tree work."

I'm tired and bored too.

Right on, Tom. I'll match your offer. Free Z to the first person to contact me.

Good rant Tom.

When I found out there was such a thing as the ANSI Standards, I told my employer to get one, about a week later I had one. Then when they revise them, I say I need a new copy, and I get one.

If I where an employer, and I didn't have at least one copy laying around the office, I'd sure as hell get one.

I'm trying to figure out who <I>wouldn't </I> have one.

Dan,

You stood up so I'm going to pick on you. Go back and read my original post. You have to put some work into learning. Nothing comes free.

I can see that you didn't read my post, how can I believe that you would read a copy of the Z if I sent it to you? Believe me, reading any of my rantings is MUCH easier than getting through the syntax of the regulatory language of the Z. BUT! in the end, you'll be better prepared for tree work after reading the Z than my rantings :)

Tom

Right on Tom

AG00373_(p).gif

Latest posts

Back