Mechanical damage to tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GottaCut

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for information on what to do with an ornamental crabapple, ornamental cherry, and a japanese maple who have suffered serious root damage to one side. My customer had to replace a sewer line and the company that began the repairs dug a trench UNDER the canopy only a couple feet away from the trunk. This was done almost two weeks ago and we are in drought conditions. The leaves feel about as dry as notebook paper and are beginning to wilt. The trench has been refilled so the roots are not exposed anymore. I was hoping I could get some suggestions for root feeding (what chemicals/application method).

Also the trees are in serious need of a canopy cleaning, terrible water sprouts and "temporary" branches throughout.

Sorry I can't be more specific on what variety the trees are, but they are about 15-20 years old.

I appreciate any help!

On these small ornamentals I do full soil amendment and do pneumatic till and amendment of the soil and use a growth hormone product that will stimulate fine root growth.

Back