Mechanical drop axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Reaction score
Hey ya'll my mind has been wrapping around an idea of creating an axe that is attached to a metal post beam etc weighing in at around 150 Lbs hoisted to a trigger by a 5 to one pulley and released to bust the big rounds anyone ever do this ?

There is the youtube video of the guy with a big counter weight, on a see saw like, pivoting ax. I think there may be one that works on a big coil spring too. Now I have to go looking for it, Joe.

Sorta like that but longer arm and free drops! I plan to use a 5 2 1 pully to lift it to the trigger! I only want it to bust the big rounds in half then i'll maul it! I have several old drill casing for the arm its heavy stuff 3/4 inch thick or so ! I also thought of a lever to lift it from behind then drop but I want 150 lbs falling 6 feet to whack the round lol.

What happens when your 150lbs get stuck in a big old Cottonwood round? Hook up the Geo Metro to the rope to lift it all up as one to get a second hit?

What happens when your 150lbs get stuck in a big old Cottonwood round? Hook up the Geo Metro to the rope to lift it all up as one to get a second hit?
I throw cottonwood away lol and my hope is 150 lbs won't get stuck lol. However with a 5 to one I could lift it up by hand!

Just don't wind up with one of those really cool gadgets that's only fun to watch, not to use. If you have to get the round under it, or have it on wheels to move to the round, by the time you get it situated, a 660 could have noodled it. If it's on a round pipe that will swing in an arc, you could stage a semi circle of rounds, pop them in half, or quarters, then swing it out of the way and go to it with the ax or maul, Joe.

Where do you plan on being just before that freefalling axe makes contact? Without something to hold the round I foresee chunks flying. Same if something breaks. Ron
Lol I'll be behind the action things should fly away and as thick as the oil drill stem is I don't foresee it breaking . I may do the guillotine but beefier it won't be for a bit no oxygen I tried cutting it with the sawsall lol too thick. I think with that guillotine a guard could be made to keep flying pieces caged so to speak. Its mainly for fun though and seems a wee bit safer than a death wheel lol.

There was another cool one I saw one time that swung sideways/horizontally instead of vertically. I can't seem to find it now though.

Back