mechanical friction devices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steppe

Reaction score
first I want to say hi, first time posting but ive been lurking around as a guest for a while now.

I've been climbing on a ZZ for a while now and love it, I hate when I have to switch back to a VT and pulley for whatever reason that may be. That being said I'm looking to get another climbing set up and I could use your opinions on some of the mechanical friction devices out now for DDrt. I'm kind of torn which direction to go, I really like the idea of the spiderjack but from what ive heard the 2.1 is favored over the 3 at this point and even then it doesn't seem like there are more pros than cons to the SJ. Also toyed with the idea of a uni but it almost seems like theres way more to it. I would really like the ability to set something up midline, but that isn't a deal breaker being as I'm so used to it with the ZZ. To the guys who have tried multiple set ups, which do you prefer and why? I do love my ZZ and I'm quite tempted to just stay with whats been working well for me.

I've only used the Rope Runner of the mechanicals. But it is mid line attachable and can be used Ddrt and SRT. I really like mine.

I use the Akimbo and RopeWrench setups for SRT, and ZigZags and Hitchclimber setups for MRT. They each have distinct advantages for different applications. I'm often using two climb lines, and the mechanicals sometimes introduce more slack because the rope practically falls right through them when they're unweighted. This is great on ascent, and isn't a problem when I'm on one line, but I'll use the hitch-based setups for the second line. That way I can keep a little weight in the line with the mechanical device, and if the other one gets unweighted, I don't have to reel in a bunch of excess slack because the rope weight pulled more rope out. This is an especially good idea when you're getting used to a new mechanical device, as the second line is a more familiar setup with no surprises.

I was fortunate enough to know people who let me try some of the other mechanicals, and quite honestly, none of them impressed me. Fast to wear out, expensive parts, or just plain clunky feeling. The exception would be the Bull Dog Bone which I haven't had a chance to try. I have every reason to believe that it would probably suit me fine, as well... very similar in operation to the Akimbo.

Every climber is going to prefer whatever system serves their own climbing style best. Trying the device out before you buy is always the best plan, because you might not like it and none of them are cheap. To try out a RopeRunner, I drove almost 300 miles. But, I had a good time and got to meet another climber that I only knew from the forums. I didn't think the RR was my cup of tea, though. Great device, I just like the Akimbo a whole lot better. Other than the not-midline-attachable thing, the ZigZag is still by far and away my favorite MRT device. It's just smoother and more predictable than anything else I've used. And it doesn't wear out clutches all the time like the SpiderJack, which I bought one of... and sold about 3 months later.

Unless you're moving to SRT systems, I don't think you'll gain anything by changing to another device. The ZZ is still a great multicender for MRT.

I have used a RR before and do like it but I'm more concerned about MRS. The company i work for will only let us climb SRT with a wrench. A RR is not permitted so I only imagine some of the other stuff definitely isn't.

I know the ZZ works well just sort of entertaining the idea of trying something new.

Latest posts

Back