Mechanical log lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersenj20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was trying to come up with a way to load big logs by myself. I haven't quite accomplished that yet, but I can load some big logs now instead of having to mill on someone's property. I'll use this to lift and then back the truck or trailer under the end.

As you can see my son makes a perfect helper until I come up with a way to anchor the lever handle so I can walk away to move the truck under. I may just use tent stakes or something. Will see.

The slab in the pictures was loaded up with a tool box and an anvil for weight to act as a makeshift log. I'll be cutting logs down to 8 foot so it should work well.

(Oh yah, I put this here because I will use it in my milling and I couldn't decide where else to put it)

Last edited:
Looks like a nice set up, just stay to the side when pushing if your hands slip you wont eat the lever.

why don't cha just get a 2ton fold up cherry picker?

$149 at harbor freight

Lifting logs

Have you thought about one of these little guys , thats if you can mount it anywhere , a ute crane , wouldnt be without it , they lift a lot more than they say also , mine is the 450kg version , about half a tun . There is also a 950kg , about 1 tun ,version , thats the one I would recomend . Cheers MM They are old photos.

Last edited:
Have you thought about one of these little guys , thats if you can mount it anywhere , a ute crane , wouldnt be without it , they lift a lot more than they say also , mine is the 450kg version , about half a tun . There is also a 950kg , about 1 tun ,version , thats the one I would recomend . Cheers MM They are old photos.

I like that, if I had a truck, I think I'd find something similar to that ute crane, looks REAL handy.

I am wanting to make a gin pole loader out of this set up
but got to figure out poles for it i want it to extend so can load
a trailer behind it!

This reminds me of one of the first mechanical lessons I learned..." Leverage is your friend"....Looks like it should work good.

A chain hoist or come along at the apex might eliminate the need for the lever and simplify one man operaton.

I've looked at those in catalogs, but don't know anyone with real experience.

How difficult is it to swing the load around? Does it pivot on bearings? Or what?

I built my lift back in January this year to assist with planting trees, found it a Godsend in loads of different applications since then. It tows behind the atv, is very accurate for reversing up to planting pits, and I cant believe I never thought of it years ago. BTW its a 2ton lift, so will never be at its limit

Last edited:
I have wanted one of those bed mounted cranes for a long time, but so far I can't justify splurging the money. I am super cheap as evident by the milling of my own lumber. I built this out of materials on hand. (Like most of my projects) Save the 7 lag bolts bolting the metal straps in place.

I like the lever aspect better than any hoist or hydraulic jack because of speed of use. This is up and down in a matter of seconds. A cam lock is a good idea. Once I actually put the thing in use I will better come up with a solution.

I was most worried about the legs splaying out or the A-frame giving way, but this thing didn't even groan or strain except the lever of course which bowed pretty good. I may change it to an on-hand shorter piece of square tubing that is 1/4" walled instead of this 3/16". When I tested the thicker tubing it didn't bow, but wasn't long enough for my son to get the leverage to lift. I did have to warn him about the trebuchet(sp?) properties.

I did have to warn him about the trebuchet(sp?) properties.

"Uh, United 657 Heavy, this is Atlanta Approach. Please say again. You say WHAT just passed you?"

Wheeeeeeeeee! :D

Kidding aside, yeah, it would be hard to beat the speed of that thing. As for splaying, if you can get a strap or chain under the log and attach it to each leg, you'd cure that in a hurry.

nice rig there petersen. looks better than draggin' a log through the dirt. looks to me one of the key parts of it are the 'the boy'. mine grew up and quit on me. :cheers:

Blasphemer! This is Delta country. I'm a contractor so I couldn't resist.

My son came up with running straps under and securing to the legs. Never be afraid to ask for help. Even a kid. The thing anchored into the concrete just fine with no problems so I'm sure it will do fine in soft ground. We're real big on straps because I have some good ones and they are better for so many reasons.

"Uh, United 657 Heavy, this is Atlanta Approach. Please say again. You say WHAT just passed you?"

Wheeeeeeeeee! :D

Kidding aside, yeah, it would be hard to beat the speed of that thing. As for splaying, if you can get a strap or chain under the log and attach it to each leg, you'd cure that in a hurry.

Last edited:
I cleared a pin oak and this is what we hauled. It was the first tree lifted with the lift. It went well. I know I need a winch to drag into the trailer once it is set up there. At one point I was not paying attention and lost the lever in a slingshot (only slightly) and the A-frame fell apart. My son about crapped.

These really aren't worth posting.
Thats what I get for letting the boy run the machine.

has anyone tried these hydraulic HIGH LIFT TABLE CART
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41145

41145.gif

Latest posts

Back