Media Cat Chain Letter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It pops up on the screen. I clicked open folder to view files. It then opens in windows folder. I can see the service manuals and technical information.....just no IPLs

V3.29 / V3.33 should look like this if the installation went correctly and a catalog was copied to your hard drive. If you chose not to copy the catalog to your drive and try opening the program without the CD in your drive, you will indeed get an error.

MediaCAT.jpg

I have been saying all along, if it came as a cd, it needs to be copied as a cd, and if it came on a dvd it needs to be copied on a dvd.

Not exactly...

Just do a data copy from the original disc, and make sure that it is on a dvd, of course.

Post 1058 was an attempt to provide some clarity there, as well as describing a method for converting a CD version to a DVD version, etc., for anyone inclined to do so.

Individual catalogs can be distributed among the v3.x versions as folders without the need for installing a whole new base application. Can even import catalogs from many other OPE vendors into the program. The version we're familiar with and is the one circulating here is not Mac compatible. Therefore the cd/dvd/whatever is only useful to Mac users as a source for the folders and files of interest since the program won't install on a Mac. That requires a bit of creativity in navigating the disc contents to find and copy the .pdf's of interest. Call it fondling, whatever...

Straight copies are a good thing and a simple thing when copying to like media. Conversion from CD to DVD is a good thing and relatively simple as well if one understands the process involved, but it isn't a direct copy process. Distribution and copying of catalogs/individual folders and files is also a simple thing when understood and done correctly according to the intended purpose and operating system.

FWIW, there should be a DVD with both the V3.3 and the V5.6 platforms floating around fairly soon. No guarantee the latter will have the expiration issue resolved, but it will at least be included and can be installed on a back-dated computer if not.

If someone has a 2012 V3.33 version, I'd appreciate a copy.

There's nuthin' to it, bro. Should just install if the copy is good. If maybe you installed without copying the catalog to your hard drive, try putting the CD in the drive, then open the program.

Do you have a MediaCAT shortcut icon on your main desktop screen when you fire up your 'puter?

I did try to install without copying the catalog over. What folder should I copy over to my hard drive? Where should I put it?

I do not have the mediacat shortcut icon on my desktop.

Yeah, my bad. When I introduced the 2012 version here, it was put on a dvd by another member here for us, who I won't name. And the previous ones had been on cd, so
I misspoke earlier about copying it on dvd, I falsely assumed that the 2012 version was being passed around.

Pogo, if you want a 2012 version, I can send you one if you want, I am sure I'll turn it up this afternoon.

You should install the whole program (unless you have a Mac). The installation will create the right directories and paths on your hard drive.

Here's the deal:

When you insert the CD it should auto-run to start the installation. May take a few seconds to spin up and get going, but should begin the installation on its own. (If not, you can manually initiate the setup.exe in the CD's main directory.)

A splash screen should open giving you some initial options such as language and whether or not you want to install the catalog on your hard drive....which you do.

Next is navigating through some registration questions...most of which can be effectively answered by a few taps on the space bar and need not be legitimate answers as they don't get sent anywhere for verification anyway.

An installation progress page should appear and the magic happens. The catalog is around 600MB and will take a while, but you should be totally good to go from start to finish in 20 minutes or so (if everything goes right) and should end up with a screen like the pic I posted when you start MediaCAT.

Should then be able to access the contents of the catalog on your hard drive without the CD being in the drive.

You should install the whole program (unless you have a Mac). The installation will create the right directories and paths on your hard drive.

Here's the deal:

When you insert the CD it should auto-run to start the installation. May take a few seconds to spin up and get going, but should begin the installation on its own. (If not, you can manually initiate the setup.exe in the CD's main directory.)

A splash screen should open giving you some initial options such as language and whether or not you want to install the catalog on your hard drive....which you do.

Next is navigating through some registration questions...most of which can be effectively answered by a few taps on the space bar and need not be legitimate answers as they don't get sent anywhere for verification anyway.

An installation progress page should appear and the magic happens. The catalog is around 600MB and will take a while, but you should be totally good to go from start to finish in 20 minutes or so if everything goes right and end up with a screen like the pic I posted.

Should then be able to access the contents of the catalog on your hard drive without the CD being in the drive.
Awesome! I will do this tonight! Thanks for the help Pogo

Yeah, I'll know if it loads ok when I get to my wife's computer later.
I had always wanted to keep it easy to load, because I am totally computer illiterate. The program can probably do a lot more than I'll ever know.

Latest posts

Back