Members that turn cylinders?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do we have any members on here that turn down cylinders? when I assembly my saw I would like to find my squish and then be able to send my cylinder off and have the base turned to get me close to .020 on my squish.

I would prefer to just be able to send off the cylinder itself once I find out how much I need turned off of it to save on shipping rather than shipping the whole saw off.

There’s more to it than that...
In addition to measuring stock squish, you need to time the intake, exhaust, and transfers. You’ll need a degree wheel.
Then turn down the base of the cylinder to move the ports to where you want them, or as close as you can.
And then you cut the roof to set the squish.

There’s more to it than that...
In addition to measuring stock squish, you need to time the intake, exhaust, and transfers. You’ll need a degree wheel.
Then turn down the base of the cylinder to move the ports to where you want them, or as close as you can.
And then you cut the roof to set the squish.

Understandable on setting the timing up as best as can be, but wouldn't taking a small amount off the bottom of the cylinder if there is a large squish work the same as a base gasket delete if you are just wanting to up the compression?

OK, so say I setup a degree wheel when I get the chance to finally start putting this thing together. When looking in at the piston is the timing when the top of the piston starts to enter/exit the ports or when the rings?

I understand this is for ideal setup and there are tolerances obviously since I'm guessing non of the manufacturers are doing this when building a saw. There would be to big of a variance between each piston and cylinder for it to be practical for them to do so.

Which is more critical in getting performance out of a engine, timing vs compression with both of them being within reason?

This would be on a 372xp OE and I am guessing this is probably the most ported saw out there and if not has to be at least the second one.

So you could take 0.010-0.020" off the base, by simply sanding on some plate glass, to establish squish.

Porting is much more involved, grinding tools, mapping ports, degree wheel/dial indicator to determine TDC............

OP wanted to set squish, nutting fancy. Check squish with solder. Either base gasket delete or sand the cyl base a bit.

So you could take 0.010-0.020" off the base, by simply sanding on some plate glass, to establish squish.

Porting is much more involved, grinding tools, mapping ports, degree wheel/dial indicator to determine TDC............

OP wanted to set squish, nutting fancy. Check squish with solder. Either base gasket delete or sand the cyl base a bit.
You try sanding the base on a 372, let us know how that goes.

MP, the base on the 372 isn't flat so there would be no way to control how much you where taking off in any given area. This is why a lathe or mill is needed to remove an even amount on the cylinder.

cyl.jpg

MP, the base on the 372 isn't flat so there would be no way to control how much you where taking off in any given area. This is why a lathe or mill is needed to remove an even amount on the cylinder.

View attachment 756757

Okey Dokey.

Never had a 372. Was thinking flat base cylinders like my stihls.

Maybe that's why I don't have HuskyVarmints.

I used to play with dirt bike cylinders, until I got older and my bones don't heal as quickly.

Okey Dokey.

Never had a 372. Was thinking flat base cylinders like my stihls.

Maybe that's why I don't have HuskyVarmints.

I used to play with dirt bike cylinders, until I got older and my bones don't heal as quickly.

I had a funny feeling that's what you where thinking and I'm not to good at explaining things so that's why I threw the picture in since they are suppose to be worth a thousand words.

OK, in an effort to save money like people do when they build saws or reload ammo I built myself a timing wheel so when the time comes I can at least see what the timing is doing. It's pretty easy to find a printable image of one and I found one I liked. I cropped the size down to 4.72" which is the size of a CD then used a glue stick on the back side and pasted it to the CD and covered it with packing tape to give it a smooth surface that would be easy to clean.

The hardest part was finding a copy of "Little Big Town" that my wife loves so much to use as the base for the printout, I mean it's Little big town why not :innocent:

wheel.jpg

Back