Menard's chainsaw line up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I dropped the wife at the mall yesterday and headed to Menards. For those of you that don't have it, it's another Home Depot type store that recently came to Kansas. Having CAD, I had to check out the saw isle. Poulans, Poulan Pro, Efco, Hitachi, Earthquake, Blue Max, MTD, and Remington rounded out their line of gas powered saws. I wonder what goes through the shoppers mind as they try to pick between such a fine line up?

Efco's are fine saws and Hitachi's are Tanaka (?).

This Efco didn't look so fine. Online it seems Efco is their main line so it doesn't make sense they only had one in the store. I think it was around 36cc. Their 50cc saws were Poulan Pro and Remington.

I'd want to check out country of origin for "Earthquake" or "Blue Max". I'd wager they've made an ocean voyage, eastbound, if you get my drift.

If they try to hide that, good reason to avoid them.

I'd want to check out country of origin for "Earthquake" or "Blue Max". I'd wager they've made an ocean voyage, eastbound, if you get my drift.

I'm not sure about now, but Earthquake was an American company I think. I have had several of the hand gas powered post hole augers they make. The older ones were quality built, the ones now?? I don't know. I have drilled 1000's of hole in planet earth with one in the last 25 years. The old ones had a Tecumseh two stroke engine that could take punishment. I don't know what brand of engine the new augers use since Tecumseh went belly up. They are worth their weight in gold when digging post holes compaired to using the old man powered diggers.

Last edited:
My brother has had an Earthquake auger since 1995. It has dug 1000's (literally) of holes and the only thing it has needed is a fuel line and the recoil spring cleaned and rewound...just saying...I would as soon buy an Earthquake saw as to spend money on the disposable Poulans.

It is well known that the "Blue Max" is crap from China, and I guess many of the others also are.....

I was surprised to see our local farm store, Orscheln, made the switch from Poulan to Echo at a time when other stores are heading to China. If I remember right, the Wichita Northern Tool had 1 Husqvarna on the shelf and the rest were Blue Max when the store first opened.

I bought a blue Max to check them out.Hard to start and the instructions,lost in translation.25:1 fuel as most Chinese saws.Once Running,a good cutter. Chain needs frequent adjustment,I just sat it in a corner.Bought some Earthquakes on eBay cheap.I like them,about 1/2 hour test,good so far. Fairly easy to start 50:1 fuel,oregon bar and chain and yes Made in china.I tried a 38cc and bought more,41cc and 45cc all new and 50 bucks or some even less at auction. they are up to 80 bucks start.Maybe because I bought so many. Here items in sellingitasis store on eBay!

I would call it choosing from the lesser of the evils when shoping saws at a box store. If the Efco's are still Italian made they are probably the best choice among the lot if a gun was put to my head... The only box store saw I'd buy would be an off rental home depot saw... you all know what i'm talkin about and if not go back to your poulan saw and don't talk to me... :tongue2:

I would call it choosing from the lesser of the evils when shoping saws at a box store. If the Efco's are still Italian made they are probably the best choice among the lot if a gun was put to my head... The only box store saw I'd buy would be an off rental home depot saw... you all know what i'm talkin about and if not go back to your poulan saw and don't talk to me... :tongue2:

I have never run an efco, but the echoes are good saws and sold in box stores. They just need a more realistic carb adjusting and MM, but heck, most any new saw does today.

Those smaller Efco's are screaming little saws. I've had several through the years only they were John Deere green and yellow and white Cub Cadets. They are good running plastic saws, but don't have bar/chain guide plates. If they are run with loose chains, the case gets chewed up. The oiler seems to be the weak part on them.

I would buy one if I needed a small saw.

I don't think Menards carries Efco any longer. At least my local doesn't. Their OPE aisle (more like half an aisle) was always pretty abysmal anyhow.

I dropped the wife at the mall yesterday and headed to Menards. For those of you that don't have it, it's another Home Depot type store that recently came to Kansas. Having CAD, I had to check out the saw isle. Poulans, Poulan Pro, Efco, Hitachi, Earthquake, Blue Max, MTD, and Remington rounded out their line of gas powered saws. I wonder what goes through the shoppers mind as they try to pick between such a fine line up?

they think these are cheap and affordable and will get the job done around the home.dont confuse homeowners with professional loggers .you will eat crow every time.

Back