metal detecting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U2bwolfb4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
well I just got my first custom cut order of the year.. It's 15 red cedar log's avg. size 12- 20 inch's dia. 8 ft. length.. when the guy brought them, and dropped them off, I noticed some bluing on 2 of the log's.. as I pointed this out to him, an asked if any were from old fence row's,, he wasn't sure as he bought them off a local logger, aka buddy.. well, then I let go with a little more, on cost's, if there were.. he wanted to know what I was going to do.. first off, I told him I was going to run my metal detector over them,, an if I got any hits I was going to mark them off,, an do a little chainsaw surgery on them.. I have run into this before,, cost me 3 bands,, hmmm,, not cool,, sorry, got off track, any way.. my point is for the new guy's just starting out,, [ wary of the blue ] my payment for the lesson, was 3 bands.. always ask where the logs came from., could mean either profit or loss,, money,, time down for repairs, band costs,, etc.. I picked up a nice detector, at a yard sale, has saved me more than once,, food for thought,, have a good one u2bwolfb4

How good is just a standard metal detector for this use? Is there a better alternative?
I use texas pro, an I move my setting for just the steel an iron,, mine has located staples as far in, as 10 inchs, an I roll the log over, I'am pretty sure that I get, a good read on the avg, of 20 to 22 inch log, but I only do it if its suspect,, yeah there better methods, but where I'am at, its the norm, to just use the detector, faster, cheaper,,

I informed those fellas that band replacement cost is $25 per band.....then ask them if there is any metal in them once more while they are signing the agreement for metal busting my bands. I take precautions for metal, but sometimes things happen and one gets by.

Scott (cheese dip time...WOOHOO!) B

I use a cheap wand-type detector, and check for metal with the log on the mill, if I suspect it. It isn't sensitive enough that it picks up the metal of the mill itself, until I get to the last couple of cuts-- and then only when over a cross bunk. It has been surprisingly reliable. Now if someone would just make a ceramic insulator (from old electric fences) detector.

Ate you really paying $25 per band? I will ask Carl again, but I'm pretty sure he said he pays around $500 for 50 bands shipped, and normally can get 5-6 sharpening out of each before they break.
They are the ones that can cut metal to a degree too.

Latest posts

Back