Meteor 044 10mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 10mm Episan pistons from the Greek 5 - 6 years ago that fit just as it was supposed to, actually got two, used one in my own saw and gave the other one to a member here, never had an issue with them. Now that Stihl has new pricing on their pistons, that is all I will be using as long as this lasts.

Stihl is making all their replacement Pistons at their new piston factory in VA Beach. I'm told that is one of the reasons, along with complaints from dealers about pricing. Stihl has decided to raise some retail saw prices, but lower prices on commodities.

I'm just gonna run mine and see what happens. Adirondack, if you got some running with 5 plus gallons through them that's good enough for me. I hope to be able to beat on it some in a couple weeks. I will report back.

I'm just gonna run mine and see what happens. Adirondack, if you got some running with 5 plus gallons through them that's good enough for me. I hope to be able to beat on it some in a couple weeks. I will report back.
Brave soul you be.
But you are correct.....I mean....the one saw (Christine) has had at least 5gal of VP put through her ass and she runs like a raped ape.

Stihl is making all their replacement Pistons at their new piston factory in VA Beach. I'm told that is one of the reasons, along with complaints from dealers about pricing. Stihl has decided to raise some retail saw prices, but lower prices on commodities.

My Stihl parts man had told me about this when I put my last order in for P&C`s and a couple of 026 pistons. If I had waited a little more than a month I could have saved more than $350.

Brave soul you be.
But you are correct.....I mean....the one saw (Christine) has had at least 5gal of VP put through her ass and she runs like a raped ape.

Now as you showed though Jeremy, you have an old(like 3 years) 10mm 044 piston that measured the same.

That would say that at least as far as 3 years back these pistons have had the measurement. You would think with the potential 100s of units of these that there may have been some issue that popped up.

Not saying there ain't!

I ain't no saw builder!
Certainly ain't no engineer.

More to come as the week wears on!

The one I measured this AM was purchased April 2012.
It had the locating pins in the wrong place.
I'd continue to buy Meteor products.
The quality is great. I just think there was a huge oversight in the drafting dept

The one I measured this AM was purchased April 2012.
It had the locating pins in the wrong place.
I'd continue to buy Meteor products.
The quality is great. I just think there was a huge oversight in the drafting dept
Agreed.

I'm not happy with it either, especially because it causes some folks including yourself concern.

Email with attachment has been fired off!

Could someone possibly use the spacers from a RedMax blower to correct this issue?

Joe

Could someone possibly use the spacers from a RedMax blower to correct this issue?

Joe
Me and J were talking this morning...
It was quite common for older American saws to use thrust washers.

And they could likely work in this application....

But that's not really the point here.

The single one I have done with a Meteor piston just finished being used as the only saw to build a 24x32 scribe fit log house and 10 cords of firewood. I don't now how many gallons of fuel that is, but I'm sure it's more than five. The owner of the saw is very happy with the saw. I might call him to bring it in and switch to the Stihl piston, though.

The single one I have done with a Meteor piston just finished being used as the only saw to build a 24x32 scribe fit log house and 10 cords of firewood. I don't now how many gallons of fuel that is, but I'm sure it's more than five. The owner of the saw is very happy with the saw. I might call him to bring it in and switch to the Stihl piston, though.
I'd be curious to see if there were any wear marks on the rod or offset markings on the pin.

Ok can you still get 044 10 mm pistons from stihl ?

Im putting together a 044 very soon

Also is there a bearing that can be used that a little wider to take up the space needed are replacement bearings wider also would this help

Ok can you still get 044 10 mm pistons from stihl ?

Im putting together a 044 very soon

Also is there a bearing that can be used that a little wider to take up the space needed are replacement bearings wider also would this help
Yes they are. But until recently, they weren't a cost effective replacement especially with the quality of a meteor at 1/3 the cost.
My guess is that it's an oversight of the design team.
We'll see what they have to say this week. Chris is on it like stink on sh!t.

Redmax[Komatsu Zenoah] still uses spacers ,even in stratocharged motors [GZ 4000,GZ 4500],and they make some rpm[13500-14500].The bigger ones[G450,G500,G621] also have thrust washers.

Latest posts

Back