Meteor Piston, opinions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is wrong with the piston ? Are you referring to the irregular casting pattern on the inside of the skirt area ?

Its just been machined on the ID thats all. No big deal IMO. Its just a part of the normal manufacturing process.

They probably true up the ID & make it concentic with the OD. I imagine they are using it to locate off of.

What is wrong with the piston ? Are you referring to the irregular casting pattern on the inside of the skirt area ?

Its just been machined on the ID thats all. No big deal IMO. Its just a part of the normal manufacturing process.

They probably true up the ID & make it concentic with the OD. I imagine they are using it to locate off of.

Nawww, look at the skirt lower corners, they are missing, bad casting? bad machining? who knows.

Brand new piston, pulled it out of the box to find this... To my rookie eye this thing is junk. What say the experts please.

OEM on left, Meteor on right
218840d1327176026-img_5046-jpg
218843d1327176038-img_5045-jpg

View attachment 218840View attachment 218841View attachment 218842View attachment 218843
218841d1327176030-img_5043-jpg
218842d1327176034-img_5044-jpg

That piston looks defective..the melt didn't fill the mold? As for Meteor pistons, I have one in a Jonsered 2094 and 2 in a pair of Jonsereds 920's. They have worked well to this point in time. Mine looked better than that one as well.

Both 1125 036 Meteor pistons that I recieved from one supplier looked like that.

I have recieved Meteor pistons from a different source for a different models that looked like that as well.

Honestly can say that I have better luck with other aftermarket brands than Meteor and no aftermarket brand is close to OEM yet in my opinion. If you want OEM quality then you have to buy OEM.

Here is a pic I took of my "meteors" (The two pistons on the right...Left most was a forester if I remember correctly) before they went into service in their respective saws.
218955d1327212014-2094-one-920-piston-jpg

Last edited:
Is this the difference you are talking about ?

View attachment 218998

Yes, the skirts are not fully formed.

I guess I should have worded this as "hey look at the defective skirts on this piston I got from meteor". I am not looking for opinions on "hey is metoer a good piston to use".

I am not going to use this piston as is. It may run fine or it could grenade in a nice ported OEM cylinder. If I can't get a Metoer without the casting flaws I will go OEM.

Will,
Walk me through this as I had the same issue with my Meteors and was told that where those casting "flaws" are will have no effect on timing or anything else for that matter unless the edge could somehow scrape the cyl wall which I would assume could only happen if the rod was weak or bearings bad. So what would the shape of the skirt below any intake or exhaust passage have no matter how ugly or misshapened it is?

Maybe I missed something. As I said before I eventually used one(just as poorly casted) and haven't had any complaints in service.

Will,
Walk me through this as I had the same issue with my Meteors and was told that where those casting "flaws" are will have no effect on timing or anything else for that matter unless the edge could somehow scrape the cyl wall which I would assume could only happen if the rod was weak or bearings bad. So what would the shape of the skirt below any intake or exhaust passage have no matter how ugly or misshapened it is?

Maybe I missed something. As I said before I eventually used one(just as poorly casted) and haven't had any complaints in service.

Ya, I don't think it will cause an issue at all, unless it would cause a freeport or something. I've never had one like that. You could install it and see if it uncovers the bottom of the ex-port, which I dought it would. If I had to I'd run it, but I'd also try to get a good one first if possible.

Ya, I don't think it will cause an issue at all, unless it would cause a freeport or something. I've never had one like that. You could install it and see if it uncovers the bottom of the ex-port, which I dought it would. If I had to I'd run it, but I'd also try to get a good one first if possible.

Copy that. Thanks Will.
A

I just copied this link here and sent it to meteor via email lets see what they do!

METEOR PISTON -Leader in the production of pistons- History

OP you should email them too!

Sounds good to me. I hope they will reply to this problem. There are quite a few of us who are buying their
product. I should hope they would be concerned about those in their market. I don't like the poor quality
I see in the pistons in this post.

I would think that the loss of piston skirt would alter the intake duration, IE extend intake.

I would have to put it into a cylinder to see if the exhaust is covered while piston is at TDC. If not the fresh charge would flow out the exhaust port, yes no?

Still, I paid for what was supposed to be the best AM piston out there. I got a whole lot less than the best. Be interested to see what Meteor will say.

I would think that the loss of piston skirt would alter the intake duration, IE extend intake.

I would have to put it into a cylinder to see if the exhaust is covered while piston is at TDC. If not the fresh charge would flow out the exhaust port, yes no?

Still, I paid for what was supposed to be the best AM piston out there. I got a whole lot less than the best. Be interested to see what Meteor will say.

Same here:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I just checked my e-mail and Sal at Northwood said I could send it back for a refund. All his current stock has this type of defect. He also said that he was contacting Meteor and would let me know when he gets and answer from them.

You'd have to put it in to find out. See where the intake port opens. If those missing spots do in fact open the port first then yes it will alter timing.

This is what Meteor replied to Northwood Saw's inquiry about the issue.

"With reference to your message here below please note the following:
- The problem is just aesthetic, meaning that there is no such thing as some missing casting, the piston is simply purposely shaped like this on the below edges / corners of the skirt just to be adapted to another model (Oleomac 962) which requires this shape at the bottom of the skirt. And these "cuttings" come out from the mould, that is they are not made by machining, that's why you see the rough aluminium on them. We have been producing and selling this version for almost 5 years now without problems, so there are no faults about it."

Sal over at Northwood still offered to refund my $ and issue a return slip. He did what he could to help and make the purchase whole, can't ask any more of a company than that. I will be a repeat customer in the future. Besides, shipping was REALLY fast! Thanks Sal.
I will think twice about Meteor Pistons in the future however.

I changed my mind and am going to keep the piston and clean it up. I am not impressed with the quality but I don't really have the funds at this point in my build for OEM. I am going to be decking the cylinder anyway so a little more intake duration can't hurt... I hope...

This is what Meteor replied to Northwood Saw's inquiry about the issue.

"With reference to your message here below please note the following:
- The problem is just aesthetic, meaning that there is no such thing as some missing casting, the piston is simply purposely shaped like this on the below edges / corners of the skirt just to be adapted to another model (Oleomac 962) which requires this shape at the bottom of the skirt. And these "cuttings" come out from the mould, that is they are not made by machining, that's why you see the rough aluminium on them. We have been producing and selling this version for almost 5 years now without problems, so there are no faults about it."

Sal over at Northwood still offered to refund my $ and issue a return slip. He did what he could to help and make the purchase whole, can't ask any more of a company than that. I will be a repeat customer in the future. Besides, shipping was REALLY fast! Thanks Sal.
I will think twice about Meteor Pistons in the future however.

I changed my mind and am going to keep the piston and clean it up. I am not impressed with the quality but I don't really have the funds at this point in my build for OEM. I am going to be decking the cylinder anyway so a little more intake duration can't hurt... I hope...

If that's the case, then I really wouldn't worry about it. Its not going to affect anything.

Back