metering pour spout for Stihl mix oil gallons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Has anyone found a pour spout that meters 2.6 oz that will screw onto the gallon jugs of Stihl mix oil? From an economic standpoint it looks like I could save nearly a third on mix oil by purchasing the gallon jugs of Stihl HP Ultra mix oil instead of the six packs of 2.6 oz. mix oil. At local prices that is about a $46 savings per gallon of mix oil...

I'd like to be able to meter the oil at the jug level and dump it right into the gas can. That would be preferred over having to carefully pour from the jug into a measuring cup and then into the gas can. The goal is less mess and more consistency while using the gallon jugs.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a lot of trouble to avoid a small hassle, and a lot of risk (what if it only gives 2.0 ounces once?) for little reward.

Yeah, you saved 70 seconds, but then you also burned up the saw. Ooops

I just use a $1 metal jigger cup from ebay and fill it twice for a gallon (giving 42-to-1).
Rinse it with gas, wipe it out with a rag, and put it back, upside-down, on the neck of the oil bottle.
Boxcake easy, foolproof, done. YMMV

Ive found that the plastic 1 gallon mix (2.6 oz) bottles actually hold about 5 oz, i just fill em up and mix it with about 1.5 gallons, yields around 40:1, works for me.

Save the 1 gallon mix shot bottles, measure with measuring cup from bulk jug, use funnel and pour into shot bottles. You will be recycling the bottles and just grab one when you need a gallon of mix, that's what I do and always know you have the correct amount of oil.

Steve

I took a new bottle of the stihl oil and marked it with a sharpie where the oil was in the container and just fill it up to that mark out of a gallon jug. I think this fall when we start cutting a lot more firewood I’m just going to mix up 5 gallons in 90 octane ethanol free gas and be done with mixing for a little while.

I use a small jar and I measured out 2.6oz (50:1) 3.2oz (40:1) then etched marks in the glass for each one. Now i just add oil up to the line and add some gas so the oil doesn’t stick to the jar. Put the lid on and shake it around a little bit and dump it all in the gas can.

It seems that others haven't come across the type of metering device for the mix oil that I was seeking. The Stabil container got me wondering though so I went through my, as well as my father's assortment of fluids (there was an astounding amount of it!). I found an old John Deere 2-stroke mix oil container similar to the Stabil container. Low and behold it meters 2.6 oz... It should work out pretty well. The bottle holds enough to mix 6 gallons and there is no need to measure what goes into the bottle itself. The bottle is relatively transparent so I can see the oil. That makes for easy use in the field while saving money.

The stabil was my being cheap. 6 pack of stihl oil for 6 gallons is $13, 6 pack of oil for 12 gallons is $16. I didn't want to guess the half part and run a bad mix.

My stabil is in ml
Turn it around?

For a while, I used 3 0z, paper 'Dixie' cups: measured a couple carefully to 2.6 oz with a graduated cylinder and water, and marked the height with a Sharpie. Then used that height to mark a bunch more. Single-use, disposable measuring cups. No mess. I don't use as much now, so I just buy the pre-measured bottles.

Philbert

I just use the little makes 5 gal bottles. I bought a case of 50?, for $40 will last a few years.

Back