Mich. man kills wife with chain saw in accident

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While prevantable loss of life is a tradgety to be avioded, i do not believe more regulation or more government will help any of us. In a free society it's all about individual rights and responsibilities. It's not up to a regulatory comitee (OSHA) to keep me safe. It's up tp me.

I am sorry for this family and thier loss. I wish it had been prevented, but i believe in freedom and smaller government.

+1 I really feel for the guy, but this is no place for the government to stick it's nose, it really scares me how many Americans look to our Government to solve our problems, that was not what our government was originally set up to do, and most anything they do get involved in, it makes it worse, wastes working Americans hard earned money that the government extorted from them.

When you look at the number of injuries from chain saws in the US each year requiring some sort of class is a pretty reasonable thought.

people go to drivers ed and still get in accidents... really if you want to make chainsaws safe it boils down to getting saws out of the hands of people . outlaw them and have turn in your chainsaw days at the local police stations . we can then all get by with bow and buck saws . problem solved :dizzy:

My wife was my groundie for 2 years and I have had chills watching her feed the chipper, work the saw or run the porta-wrap. That guy will rerun the final moments of his wifes life over and over and over. I never want to be in his shoes.

As to regulation not saving lives...... There is a good reason why everyone in a given country drives on the same side of the road..... Regulations will never stop the invincibly ignorant from hurting themselves or others but they absolutely save lives.

I would love to see the purchase of chainsaws restricted to those who have a chainsaw "license". A simple 1 day chainsaw safety and handling course would save lives and limbs.

"With freedom comes responsibility." -Eleanor Roosevelt

The man had the freedom to go out and buy a chainsaw without some government-mandated California-nanny-state style training. But he also had a responsibility to operate it safely and his wife had a responsibility to stay out of the area while he was running it. The only way I'd ever go near anyone else with a running saw is if I saw them click the brake on and got some verbal or hand signal confirmation that they were done cutting for the moment and that it was safe to enter the area.

I would love to see the purchase of chainsaws restricted to those who have a chainsaw "license". A simple 1 day chainsaw safety and handling course would save lives and limbs.

Yep,that'll fix this problem. Drivers licenses sure have eliminated vehicle accidents.

My wife was my groundie for 2 years and I have had chills watching her feed the chipper, work the saw or run the porta-wrap. That guy will rerun the final moments of his wifes life over and over and over. I never want to be in his shoes.

As to regulation not saving lives...... There is a good reason why everyone in a given country drives on the same side of the road..... Regulations will never stop the invincibly ignorant from hurting themselves or others but they absolutely save lives.

Because government entities are so great and well run. Once regulation begin, they grow to keep themselves in existence. (Look at the EPA) We are already loosing freedom! I am completely against more regulations. Our fed completely infringes on States rights to regulate.

Because government entities are so great and well run. Once regulation begin, they grow to keep themselves in existence. (Look at the EPA) We are already loosing freedom! I am completely against more regulations. Our fed completely infringes on States rights to regulate.

Are you on crack? Regulation already rules your life and you are too blind to see it! The car you drive was built under regulation, the road you drive it on was also built under regulation and, assuming for a moment you have a drivers license, that was also issued under regulation.

As I have said, regulation does not save everyone, but it sure as hell saves more people than the utter chaos that results from zero rules.

What exactly are you afraid of anyway. That the big bad government is going to discover what illegal activities you have going on under the smoke screen of "freedom".?????

Are you on crack? Regulation already rules your life and you are too blind to see it! The car you drive was built under regulation, the road you drive it on was also built under regulation and, assuming for a moment you have a drivers license, that was also issued under regulation.

As I have said, regulation does not save everyone, but it sure as hell saves more people than the utter chaos that results from zero rules.

What exactly are you afraid of anyway. That the big bad government is going to discover what illegal activities you have going on under the smoke screen of "freedom".?????

I am afraid of the escalating costs of a booming government. The US National debt is already out of control, We are not currently paying for all the wonderful services that our government provides and they are growing and spending like wild. I have kids - I don't want them to have to pay 50-60% taxes. It annoys me when people say there should be a regulation. Hell there are plenty already.

It's probably different elsewhere but here government services and regulations cost a fortune for mediocre service. I am not against law or for anarchy but I do understand that the founders of this country understood the problem of large government. Our apathy is biting us in the rear! Maybe we should have regulations against apathy! Oh sweet pile em on!

I am afraid of the escalating costs of a booming government. The US National debt is already out of control, We are not currently paying for all the wonderful services that our government provides and they are growing and spending like wild. I have kids - I don't want them to have to pay 50-60% taxes. It annoys me when people say there should be a regulation. Hell there are plenty already.

It's probably different elsewhere but here government services and regulations cost a fortune for mediocre service. I am not against law or for anarchy but I do understand that the founders of this country understood the problem of large government. Our apathy is biting us in the rear! Maybe we should have regulations against apathy! Oh sweet pile em on!

If costs are your only concern then breathe easy. I can assure you that it is much cheaper to require all retailers to ask for proof of training before selling you a chainsaw than it is to pay for medical costs associated with injuries and deaths. I assume that retailers of alcohol still ask for proof or age where you live?

Never mind. You completely miss the point. I am against regulations and bigger government. Cost is only one piece, there is more to it than that. If you are truly interested read the 5000 year leap.

Yes you always Yield to pedestrians, everyone knows that.

Not so in a good many countries. How's that work out? Simple - pedestrians just don't walk out in front of vehicles. They're actually safer than here, where we think we have a RIGHT to walk in front of a speeding car!

Latest posts

Back