Michigan Firewood Permit Suspended Temporarily

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that because of the adverse weather conditions ?

Kind of, it was because consumers power had a compressor shut down and they could not keep up with natural gas needs and asked everybody to turn the thermostats down. The permit suspension was just to allow people the opportunity for free heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of, it was because consumers power had a compressor shut down and they could not keep up with natural gas needs and asked everybody to turn the thermostats down. The permit suspension was just to allow people the opportunity for free heat.

How much is The Great Orange Leaders cut of this ?:blob2::blob2::blob2:

Get ready for a rate hikes in your gas bill so we can all pay for consumers **** up.

We have a lot of EAB Ash yet that is very ready if it's not contacting the ground.
we had such a wet year on this side of the lake even the 3 year dead maple on the top of the pile of logs was 23% moisture when split.

I figured even standing dead wood would need time to dry.

we had such a wet year on this side of the lake even the 3 year dead maple on the top of the pile of logs was 23% moisture when split.

I figured even standing dead wood would need time to dry.
Remember that the Detroit port was supposed to be the origin of EAB domestically, so most of our trees are starting to come down and the bark sloughing off. I used to burn it in my EPA stove right out of the woods.

we are some years behind you in EAB on this side of the lake.

we are just starting to really see more fully dead eab trees and about 3-4 years ago was when they started taking down trees fast that were showing the holes and saw dust in the top limbs.

most of the EAB trees here are still alive , but probably not for much longer.

I'm guessing. only that, a guess, that the agency issuing permits is/was closed...so no permit necessary due to unavailability for the limited time.
We have 12"-14" of snow on the ground, and still very cold temps. Not many are going to be out cutting and moving wood, free wood or not.

I figured mostly a feel good thing for the state to say oh and free firewood during the cold snap

most any one who has a stove would already have wood

those who wouldn't put in the work when it wasn't extra cold and over a foot of snow probably not rushing out now.

but it probably makes much better evening news.

we had such a wet year on this side of the lake even the 3 year dead maple on the top of the pile of logs was 23% moisture when split. I figured even standing dead wood would need time to dry.

This seems of interest in that unless wood is split it never dries. I started removing about fifty dead Oak trees a little over a =year ago on a small ranch. The largest trees were about 34''. Remember we are talking Southern California where dry is an under statement. The dead trees for most part died ten years ago. Anything larger than a foot was wet in the middle. It took maybe a week to be completely dry in the summer and as of late nothing is dry right now. Pictured is a tree that rotted off at the base and became unstable. Moisture squirted out when split. Thanksmrlnrch.jpg

This seems of interest in that unless wood is split it never dries. I started removing about fifty dead Oak trees a little over a =year ago on a small ranch. The largest trees were about 34''. Remember we are talking Southern California where dry is an under statement. The dead trees for most part died ten years ago. Anything larger than a foot was wet in the middle. It took maybe a week to be completely dry in the summer and as of late nothing is dry right now. Pictured is a tree that rotted off at the base and became unstable. Moisture squirted out when split. ThanksView attachment 701138
It was not uncommon for live ash to be below 30% moisture. It does not hold much moisture. Once dead the first 4-6 feet will wick up some moisture from the ground, but once on the ground(they either rot out at the root and fall or break off 4-6 feet up where the wood wets and dries cyclically) the remaining wood that's suspended off of the ground is good to go, especially if the bark has came off and all of the dusty larvae trails have washed off. Like I said, the Regency insert at my old home got a regular diet of the stuff, and produced less than a coffee can of dust each year when cleaned.

I got a good laugh about the firewood permit news. I exclusivity heat with dead/downed wood cut on michigan state land with the $20 permit. But there's knee to thigh deep snow in the woods right now here near Gaylord. There's no way in hell its worth the effort to go tromping around in that crap right now :laugh:.

Even as wet as we get on Mt. Hood, standing Dead can be Very good wood.

In 2017, the Forest Circus fell a BUNCH of standing dead, Mostly D Fir and Hemlock, we got about 1 1/4 cords, it was Stove Ready, I wish that we could have gotten a lot more, but when we had the time to go cutting, the forest was Closed due to Fire Danger:(:(:(, so we only got one trip in.

Doug :cheers:

Out here on the East Coast, ash has always been referred to as the King's Wood because it can be felled, split and burned in a single day. As an earlier post stated, it doesn't hold much moisture. I didn't believe it, but at the time I was working with a large commercial firewood outfit and we split up a few logs of Fraxinus nigra, so the owner and I decided to test out the theory. I brought an arm-full of splits home to throw on the fire.

There was a marginal bed of coals, maybe 1-2", because I was out splitting wood all day and my lovely wife hadn't loaded the stove all day. So, I rolled in with the ash and a cold 40 of Coors light. I threw the ash on the fire, opened the vents and cracked the 40 to watch the show. Sho' nuff about halfway threw the 40, the fresh splits of ash caught fire and burned pretty solid for about, well, about the remaining half of the 40. Sorry, I don't have a more accurate timing mechanism!

After that, I was back to the red oak that I burn about 3-5 cords a year depending on whether Al Gore says there is global warming or not!

Latest posts

Back