Midwest get-together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
Dan had a gathering on the east coast. Dennis has his in Clearwater, and there is talk of one on the west coast. That leaves us in the midwest out unless we can afford the time and money to drop everything and travel thousands of miles. Is there any interest in a midwest gathering this summer ? I know this is a pipe dream but I would sure like to see something.

Bill

Midwest where? I don't have much to offer except unsolicited opinions :D but it would neat to meet some of the members. I'm in NW Indiana, and I know there's a few other members not too far away.

Chris B.

Hey Bill, now you know nobody interesting lives near us...

Hahaha.  Count me in.

Glen

Michigan sounds like a winner to me. Of course I live there, so I'm a little biased! I don't know if I should say this, because I'm sure I have no idea what's involved, and I already have way more to do than time to do it, but I'd even offer to do it at my place:confused:

Well in the back of mind I was thinking Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Michigan. It really does not matter to me. I live in Illinois on the top of the Mississippi river bluff, As I am typing this I can look out the window and look at the Iowa factories. I am several hours from the Minnesota,Wisconsin, and Michigan state lines. It takes about 5 hous to Omaha NE, 6 hours to Indianapolis. 8 hours to Louisville KY, and 6 hours to St Louis MO. Obviously finding a time and location is the hard part. It would have to involve enough members to make it worthwile. (I have no idea how many but at least more than just me). It is possible I could host but getting cants is a problem. They would have to be either Locust or Cottonwood. I would have to "steal" the Cottonwoods off the government land that was taken away from us in the river bottom. We own over 1 mile of riverfront ground but the government has to take the portion along the river bank. I would actually prefer to find a site where some of the guys from Canada could attend. Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota is fine. I know that may leave out some of the guys in Missouri, Kentucky, and Tennessee. It would be nice to include as many as possible. I would really like to meet as many members as possible. I would love to see this become a reality.

Bill

Originally posted by glens
Hey Bill, now you know nobody interesting lives near us...

Hahaha.  Count me in.

Glen

Glen.

I will be coming your way in August for the race. If it is a rainout can I stay with you ? (just kidding) Although back in about 1995-1996 we were looking for places to stay when it rained all day. If you go to the Brickyard race maybe we could meet up. I think it would be interesting as I believe we may share many of the same opinions.

Bill

NASCAR's okay, but I prefer the clockwise use of IMS, even when it's raining.

I agree about that other stuff, though.

Glen

Sounds like a great idea!

From where I sit north of Detroit, Louisville is only 6 hours away and Indy is 5. Chicago is 6.

I could probably stand to hone my chain sharpening skills and would welcome some hands-on instruction.

Of course, until recently, I was the guy who worked 7 days a week. So I'm the guy who never showed up to a weekend (grin!).

I'd be willing to give it a try somewhere in the Midwest.

MW race!!

Steve here...
A local Mid West race would be great...
You guys that are close by, don't forget about the race I put together at our local county fair. It's July 24th 7pm. Everyone is welcome. We will be cutting White pine rounds
Steve

You guys with old saws, we are having the old saw contest at Baraboo WI again this summer. August21 at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show. There are classes for Antique 2-man, antique gear drive, vintage direct drive (1979 and older stock), and vintage hotsaw. I'll post more details as the show nears. Any questions about what qualifies can be sent to me. This is an all weekend event with saw demonstrating any time Friday Sat. and Sun. Contest is around 11:00 on Saturday. There is a huge display of old saws by several exhibitors, and it's in the shade.

I am planning on attending Steve's fair race. It is close to home and should be a great time. It looks like Baraboo is even closer So it also possible. I guess I would just like to see a relaxed atmosphere where we can meet, shoot the bull, run some saws, and of course drink some beverages. I have been around AS for for several years now and I have yet to meet any members in person. I was in Southern Wisconsin last summer and I wanted to look up a saw collector that I had never met. I ran out of time and he ended up beig too far north. I do not believe he is a member here. As i said above I am planning on the far race and maybe Baraboo but if something else could be worked out great.

Enough rambling,

Bill

Gosh darn it, that was my 666 post. I hate that. I hate to make a "say nothing" post like this one but I wanted to bump the post count to 667 quick.

Bill

Why didn't we hook up last summer?  I built a house east of Monroe.

Glen

caryr,

I wish I could make it out for your west coast gathering but it just is not going to happen.

Glen,

I thought you were in Indiana. What were you doing building a house in Monroe ? We went through Monroe twice on our trip. I was able to check out a couple Stihl dealers on the trip. One was "Chainsaw Barney's" in Janesville and "Bluff Harbor and Marine" outside of Potosi.

I have both July 24th and August 21st on the calendar. I should be able to make at least one if not both.

Bill

Latest posts

Back