Midwest gtg 09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on guys, somebody say something about the day...

I haven't even had a chance to talk with either of the boys yet, seems they brought the truck with the saws home around 3:30 Sunday afternoon and are supposed to have some pictures.

Hopefully I will get home tomorrow.

Mark

I figured you had already talked to Josh. He brought a good number of your saws and I am still sorting through pictures and videos. The 125 had an issue with the rewind but Josh got it fixed and it ran great! JR showed up about the time I had to leave for work. He wanted to try a 361, they had two demo units. The dealer and regional rep had plenty of stuff to try: MS880, MS660's, a used 066, and 361’s.
The dealer provided actual competition pine logs that Stihl uses in there Timber Sports. He had both 16 and 20 inch diameter by 8 foot long.
The steam powered saw mill was close by so there was plenty of steam, black smoke, and chips flying around that day.

Mark: Sorry that I haven't posted anything. I shot some film with my new video camera, when I learn how to do it I will post some video. I got there a bit late and had a problem finding the Stihl area. I was told by one of the helpers the wrong area to look, anyway when I got there Grant was leaving so I played with the 361 and talked to Josh and Jeff a bit, but never took my saws out of the van, which was parked somewhere on the other side of Waterloo. It was a nice time and the weather was perfect. You were missed. I hope that the Oct. GTG comes off. JR

How many guys were there? I hope you had a good turnout. I thought about making the drive from Baraboo to Cedar Falls then home. I then looked at the time factor and better judgement ruled.

Bill

Hi Bill. I don't know how many, but there was a sign in sheet, and you had to also sign a waiver to run a saw, but my guess would be 10 or more. It sure would have been nice if you could have made it, but that would have been a lot of driving. Hope that you can make the Oct. one if it happens. JR

:greenchainsaw:Man I wish I would have payed a little more attention to the fact that a GTG was going on a couple hours away. Looks like it was a great time.:cheers:

Mill Pictures

:greenchainsaw:Man I wish I would have payed a little more attention to the fact that a GTG was going on a couple hours away. Looks like it was a great time.:cheers:
Yeah, they need to make all GTG dates a sticky somewhere.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

1st video in #46 lis my son Josh running the 7-10, quite a fun little saw.

1st video in #47 is #1 son Jeff running the 1-85, sweetest music a saw will make...glad to see it is indeed running properly now. I had to do a little "heart surgery" on that one after Boscobel but it seems much better now.

I asked Josh to drop off his camera with the cable so I can have a look at the photo's they took, hopefully I can post a few more shots tomorrow.

Mark

P.S. Logs seem to be piling up for an October GTG near Dike, I will try to gather some details and start a new thread later this week. I think we will have a chance to run some log splitters and maybe noodle up a few large chunks as well.

Mark

They had a truck/tractor pull that day too. The small 4 wheeler is a Pug.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yeah I finally got to run a 361, and it is a great saw. I would have loved to run it against my 6401 and see which one was fastest. Of course as we all know there are lots of variables from chain type and sharpness to what section of wood you get, so there is rarely if ever a "fair" competition. I thought that the logs were wonderful in their consistency of thickness, but I did notice in the cookie pile that there were some totally without knots, and some that had nothing but knots all the way around. Anyway it was a good time, and I now know what all the hubub is about the 361. JR

That ol' Crab mill is neat to watch. It is the one under the canopy. Was built in my hometown of Independence,Iowa back in the 50's.

I have one of those ol' Crabs sitting in a barn that I got from my uncle. Just need some land and a building.

It was neat running the ol' thing and it brings back so many memories watching that one run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5arppbOu_E

The link is a short video I shot in '07.

I'll be getting a 10x10 pine from work for Mark's GTG. I may be able to get something bigger if the log size is there.

Sounds like you guys had a good time. I ended up taking off to Southern Iowa for a small vacation with a few friends.

That ol' Crab mill is neat to watch. It is the one under the canopy. Was built in my hometown of Independence,Iowa back in the 50's.

I have one of those ol' Crabs sitting in a barn that I got from my uncle. Just need some land and a building.

It was neat running the ol' thing and it brings back so many memories watching that one run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5arppbOu_E

The link is a short video I shot in '07.

I'll be getting a 10x10 pine from work for Mark's GTG. I may be able to get something bigger if the log size is there.

Sounds like you guys had a good time. I ended up taking off to Southern Iowa for a small vacation with a few friends.

How is the 2100 running?

Bill

Latest posts

Back