Midwest GTG March 12th 2011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Grandpa Tractor, Heavy Fuel and Wet Gunpowder for a great GTG! This was my first and I did not know what to expect but I had good fun and met some great guys.:clap:

PS Thanks to Philbert for bringing the Oregon guys as well.

GPT et all- A grand time was had and looking forward to the next Barrens trip, now that I have most of it scouted. Thanks for everything!

Hot and humid in Bangkok yesterday, wish I could have been there instead.

Wendell, look on the bottom for a number stamped in the casting, the unidentified saws could be anything from a 1-41 to a 550, but more likely than not they will be 1-4x or 200 series of some sort.

The 1-50's all came with the full wrap bars, I like the way they look.

The PM700 will be a nice saw if it runs, not as fast or powerful as the 80/81/800/805/850 saws but a lot more durable.

The 621 is really nice as well, the first new saw I ever bought was a 621 demo in 1980 or '81, what a sweet saw for so many years. I finally shucked the PTO side bearing and started spitting balls up through the piston & cylinder but the death knell was when I broke the case trying to split it.

Let's see some photo's from the GTG...

Mark

Did not take the usual plethora of pics, just snapped a couple of different/interesting things.

First pic is GrizzlyAdams86 giving a Super 250 a workout.

attachment.php

Mweba with a big old David Bradley

attachment.php

HeavyFuel and WI50 milling up a race cant. Pretty sure WI50's 066 was on the mill.

attachment.php

It was my first time seeing a CSM in action. Two things I got from watching: More power more better, and more help is better. I do intend to get a mill one day though.

I also have a short video clip of the milling going on, I'll try to get it uploaded here shortly.

I'm experiencing serious technical difficulties with members of the opposite sex tonight, I may not be up for the charity cut tomorrow, but I'm working on it.

Meanwhile, this is about saws, so here's a 20 second milling video clip:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SoohuULjjjs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am finally getting to bed tonight. Everyone has finally went home. Has a real nice chat with Treemonkey, Bob and the little Horndog tonight too!
I think Horndog had a great time today. Getting to bed at 1am but still loosing an hour of sleep tonight. I had a great time today too.
Thanks to all who came. I never did get my camera out. I know that mweba will have some really funny vids when he gets back home tomorrow night. Oh I guess that will be tonight.

Came home with an Oregon Power Sharp system! Another GREAT GTG!

Good luck with the GTG! :cheers:

How is the weather?

<--------- Was in the room when JD called SawTroll!

Thanks for another great GTG JD! Not to forget all of the other guys that helped out!

I believe I put a few more faces with names and called a few more faces names! J/K!

The Oregon guys were there and they gave out Power Sharp set ups for guys to use and give feedback on. You know....for a wierd looking cutter and all, those little buggers can cut! My first impressions is that one can steer them and can curve the cut. I'll post more in one of the PS treads or maybe the guys that got the setup from the gtg can make our own thread.

Michael...thanks for helping me load the car! Enjoy the steel Stihl sign! Clean that baby up and put some paint on it!

Dan

BTW... I'm awake because our dog Cinter woke me up 2 or 3 times to do her duity outside. I think she missed me!

Looks like a fun time was had by all. Anyone get pics of Wendell dropping trees, did he get a chance to redeemhimself:hmm3grin2orange:. Stupid computer won't let me watch the vids , I guess I will fire up the old one to watch. What was with that 066 that needed a new home That I read about in a prior post?

Beefie

The phone call was not working when I was there - Saw Troll do you SKYPE? Maybe next one we can do a video link!

Philbert

That is a pity, but I don't have a clue why it didn't, as I kept the phone close yesterday, to make sure I didn't miss a call. There was no sign of anything, except the call that finally came through.

No, I don't use Skype.

Thanks for a great time grampatractor(J.D.),HeavyFuel(Jon),wetgunpowder(Boyd) and anyone else that helped.I really enjoyed cutting out in the barrens that was fun with all the saws going,snow and wind blowing,trees droping all over and a big fire:clap:I even got to talk to the Sawtroll.I told him if he would have made it he would have had to put some bigger bars on them saws of his,we wern't cutting pecker poles:hmm3grin2orange:I was wondering if Thor ever found his saw?There was word that someone named Bob might have picked up Thor's saw by mistake thinking it was one of his.Let me know J.D. when you guys are heading back over to Denny's this spring.

Wow that was a long drive......and well worth it! You know who you are and thank you again!

I will start out with some pics as the vids are loading. Unfortunately there is a vid or two that are over a Gig so it may take some time.

This was the early morning safety meeting at the cut sight

attachment.php

attachment.php

Setting up a cant at JD's

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hey JD...When will Thor realize you made an international call on his cell phone?

As the story always goes, we all got busy taking, telling lies, and cutting so the pics are limited.

O ya and apparently dancing is very popular up north as every story had some involved!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

For those that want to check out the vids as they load. I have 6MB upload speed so they are truckin right along.

YouTube -

Back