Might be time for a nice small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As posted before, I got a CT state firewood lot. finally got the paperwork from the forrester today, and he describes the lot..... all the trees are 6-12" diameter. Seems a bit overkill to go in there with my J-Red CS2171! I also have a Stihl 021, but the thought to get a J-Red CS2153 or Husky 346NE, Dolmar/Makita 5100S, or Stihl 026/MS260 all come to mind. I mentioned it to the wife today and she rolled her eyes.... she didn't say no! I think a saw that runs a 16" bar with authority and is light weight would be PERFECT! My 021 has a 16" bar, but a crappy anti-kickback .325 picco chain.

Other then being borderline CAD, would the 021 be fine if I changed to a real chain/bar/drive sprocket?

I'd really like another saw though.....two isn't NEARLY enough ;)

Last edited:
As posted before, I got a CT state firewood lot. finally got the paperwork from the forrester today, and he describes the lot..... all the trees are 6-12" diameter. Seems a bit overkill to go in there with my J-Red CS2171! I also have a Stihl 021, but the thought to get a J-Red CS2153 or Husky 346NE, Dolmar/Makita 5100S, or Stihl 026/MS260 all come to mind. I mentioned it to the wife today and she rolled her eyes.... she didn't say no! I think a saw that runs a 16" bar with authority and is light weight would be PERFECT! My 021 has a 16" bar, but a crappy anti-kickback .325 picco chain.

Other then being borderline CAS, would the 021 be fine if I changed to a real chain/bar/drive sprocket?

I'd really like another saw though.....two isn't NEARLY enough ;)

Retire the 021 (well, you know, don't actually RETIRE it) and pick up an 026 Pro with 16-inch 3/8 B&C. I run that setup stock for limbing and small felling as you describe, and it's sweet. I've had the bar buried in hardwood and the saw doesn't bog. Still have to do a muff mod on it, too. If you opt for the newer 260, you'll want to do a muff mod to get the same grunt you get from a stock 026.

You should always go in to the woods with 2 saws. You never now when , one might get pinched or quit working. A new saw is justifiable, just tell your wife that the guys on AS told you it was alright to go and buyone. You now you have Cad, so just feed the beast and buy one.:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

Since the wife didn't say no, she might as well have said yes :)

I see a great excuse to purchase another saw. Strike while the iron is hot! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
As a certified Dolmar guy (or is that certifiable?) I'd vote 5100, but in that size wood you could save $100 or more and get a 420, it's a strong saw for it's size, especially if something bad were to um, accidentally happen to the cat in the muffler, say like being attacked by a roving drill bit right in the spot welds.

But heck, she might change her mind, so just go to the closest open dealer and buy whatever he's got before she says no!

I really want a MS200 rear handle (not T) for a small saw...
Thats an often overlooked saw...

MS260PRO would be another great choice...

and if the 346NE didnt have that damn ugly side cover I might get me one....

I agree, the ms 200 is a great saw, lots of power for a small saw. Personally, I think the 200 is a better chose, than a 260 or 026. I'd much rather limb & trim with the 200, than a heavier 260.

the mid 40cc to 60 cc is OK for a "one" saw does all (like the occasional firewood cutter) but they lack the grunt of the big boys and are heavy for limbin' & trimmin, in these parts of the woods.

Get the Jred 2153 from the same place you got the 2171. They will have the best price and are guaranteed to take very good care of you. This would be my 2 saw plan IF I had to get rid of all the rest of my saws (God Forbid!).

I took the guts out of the muffler on my 021. I also cut some of the fins off the front.. New NON safety chain... She rips it up in the small stuff now that she can breath and has a good chain. Nice and light for limbing, tank of fuel goes for a LONG time. I filled my truck, rounded over the top, with small 2-3" limbs all cut to 20" on one tank of fuel.

It is not a pro saw but her heart is in the game:chainsaw:

With that said go buy a new saw for backup:clap:

I really want a MS200 rear handle (not T) for a small saw...
Thats an often overlooked saw...

MS260PRO would be another great choice...

and if the 346NE didnt have that damn ugly side cover I might get me one....

I don't think the rear handle 200 is so much overlooked as it just has a very limited market. You have to really specifically want THAT saw and almost not care what it costs. While the 200T has the arborists pretty much locked up, there are plenty of smallish rear handle saws that are close enough to the 200's weight and power for a lot less money. Great sound, and I've always been amazed what a guy in a tree can cut with one. Dealer near Pittsburgh has 2 rear handle MS200s on the shelf. I guess somebody ordered one for carving and he got sent extras by mistake.

Jack

Last edited:
That is no joke. You are up a creek if you get your saw in a big bind. Wise advice right there.

I already have a few saws (the two I mentioned and two crappy freebies that I won't count on for heat), but a new saw is always great! I would never go out with one saw... or one chain with each saw for that matter.

So far the J-Red 2153 is in the lead for me. Same as the 346NE, but looks better IMHO, and also would match my 2171. Second place is a Dolmar 5100S or Makita version as they intrigue me.

6-12 in I would want a very light saw in the line up like a top handle to clean up the small branchs for me the 192t .043 would be use a lot with trees that size and my 361 would be next.

From the sound of your trees, I would be taking my 360 pro w/ 20 in bar. Any smaller of a bar and I have to bend over too far to limb the trees, kills my back after all day of cutting.

I would go with the MS260pro with 16" .325 RSC chain...great combo!

This saw was built right in the begining and is NOT out dated.

Best saw I own...well right there with my MS660!!! :clap:

Just go steal one from Home depot! Avalancher can fill you in on the details! JJuday

I don't think the rear handle 200 is so much overlooked as it just has a very limited market. You have to really specifically want THAT saw and almost not care what it costs. While the 200T has the arborists pretty much locked up, there are plenty of smallish rear handle saws that are close enough to the 200's weight and power for a lot less money. Great sound, and I've always been amazed what a guy in a tree can cut with one. Dealer near Pittsburgh has 2 rear handle MS200s on the shelf. I guess somebody ordered one for carving and he got sent extras by mistake.

Jack

1.the money is only an issue until people run one....
2."close enough"....just not the same...

:)

1.the money is only an issue until people run one....
2."close enough"....just not the same...

:)

Not the same is quite right! The thing is a little beast and a force to be reckoned with. :msp_biggrin: Seriously though, lightweight, powerful and accelerates like a bat out of hell... whats not to like? Keep the bar at 14" and you have IMHO one premium limbing saw.

You should always go in to the woods with 2 saws. You never now when , one might get pinched or quit working. A new saw is justifiable, just tell your wife that the guys on AS told you it was alright to go and buyone. You now you have Cad, so just feed the beast and buy one.:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

Right there are musings of a wise man, rep for ye....

I go out a 'cuttin with 3 saws; 290/036/460...ready for anything.

Latest posts

Back