Mill Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A group of buddies and myself just finished up our first saw mill build and I thought I'd share it with all of you.

The main bed is 24' and can easily be added on to or reduced in length to fit the application. We did some unique things in that we nearly eliminated welding and went to almost all carriage bolt construction in order to lower manufacturing costs and make it easier for anyone to put together.

Let me know what you think, we are planning on building a couple more here in the next six months or so for ourselves.

5d474505a8c605d5f99df460ace616b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice clean build and seems to preform well. Congrats and enjoy it.

There are a number of manufactured units. Hard to comment with one picture and a video that didn't play. The cross pieces or bunks I guess are high which seems unusual doesn't it? Is it acme thread? Is the whole head obtainable or custom? I would want a welded in a jig frame.
At least you are using tube for the main length. What is on top of the tube for track?

Acme threads in the lift.

The head was designed and built by us.

Welding wasn't completely eliminated, however a majority of the assembly was fastener based. Not sure what the issue is with the video, works on both my phone and laptop.

The track is a sandwiched layer of two plies thick of a strip and the side frame bolted together.

Looks like well thought out and build machine. Congratulations!

Maybe you could offer welded track as an option? Always better to have element that suppose to be sturdy and straight welded together. My $0.02 only of course :)

Looks like well thought out and build machine. Congratulations!

Maybe you could offer welded track as an option? Always better to have element that suppose to be sturdy and straight welded together. My $0.02 only of course :)
A group of buddies and myself just finished up our first saw mill build and I thought I'd share it with all of you.

The main bed is 24' and can easily be added on to or reduced in length to fit the application. We did some unique things in that we nearly eliminated welding and went to almost all carriage bolt construction in order to lower manufacturing costs and make it easier for anyone to put together.

Let me know what you think, we are planning on building a couple more here in the next six months or so for ourselves.

5d474505a8c605d5f99df460ace616b8.jpg

Latest posts

Back