Milled a piece of Mulberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoclones

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a bit of Mulberry wood for carving but because of rot down the heart, I tried milling it instead. Very nice looking wood which should make some really nice bench seats :)

Butch

Mulberry_inmill.jpg

MulberryGrain-2.jpg

Nice looking stuff, post another pic of that same slab in about a week. Blows me away how fast mulberry changes color after being cut.

That's really really nice looking stuff. I heard it is really good for making lots of things. I have some short pieces I want to use to make a few tool handles.

I haven't seen a lot of Mulberry but seeing as it looked a bit dark I though I would level it up in Photoshop so the grain stood out a little clearer.

attachment.php

Any ideas on sealing mulberry and/or hedge so that you can keep the fresh cut color; but still allow it to air dry?

Any ideas on sealing mulberry and/or hedge so that you can keep the fresh cut color; but still allow it to air dry?

From what little I have messed with mulberry, sunlight is the main cause for darkening. keep it away from light as much as possible.
Mulberry changes color more than anything else I have messed with, will turn a nice "berry" brown / root beer color over time.

From what little I have messed with mulberry, sunlight is the main cause for darkening. keep it away from light as much as possible.
Mulberry changes color more than anything else I have messed with, will turn a nice "berry" brown / root beer color over time.

All fruitwood is the same, even with quality clear finishes on it it had to be kept out of direct sunlight for ever or it will really fade.

Just about all fruit and nut trees are worth milling - here is an apricot tree I milled in 2007. Berry type trees are exceptionally nice ie Cherry

attachment.php

And this is what the wood looks like on a handle (Its a wood work lathe turning tool).
attachment.php

I am done collecting logs this year and will start milling first of next week cant wait....hickory, ash, maple and a lot of black walnut.

Back