Milled some American Linden today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursaps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It was big one! once i trimmed the ends up it was 38" round about 14 ft long. after milling it was 24"x32" on the fat end (only milled 3 sides)

used the 394xp w/ a 36" bar, on my homemade alaskan mill.

My employer got the log, but it was too big to fit on the woodmizer, so they asked me to trim it down to fit. No problem! i usually do this for fun, might as well get paid for it!

sorry about the crappy cell pics, forgot my camera!

0626121235b.jpg

here you can see the but end on the right.

0626121235a.jpg

thanks for looking!

0626121235.jpg

Last edited:
looks good, ive used aluminum ladders before aswell to chainsaw mill, ive always had a problem getting them to stay on there without moving around a screwing up your first cut. How did you secure it tightly??

Wood - Light, soft, and tough. Sold mainly for lumber, dimension
stock and veneer; used in making drawing boards, furniture,
tongue depressors, and for carving.

my employer wants it for carving, i think. not sure what hes going to carve though.

i first thought the 36" bar was too long for anything id ever mill, now i thinking about getting a 42" for the big pieces.... The ladder is pretty stable, i learned to leave them together as pictured, much more solid and harder to bend. i cut 2x4's to fit on top of the smaller section and lag bolt it down to the tree, shimming and cutting as needed to get it straight.

Thats a nice size basswood log. Around my neck of the woods if the get that big they are usually hollow in the middle. We make paddles out of our 2'' stuff and sell alot for paddles. It carves like butter and is very light weight.

looks good, ive used aluminum ladders before aswell to chainsaw mill, ive always had a problem getting them to stay on there without moving around a screwing up your first cut. How did you secure it tightly??

I have 3 ladders from 10 to 42 feet. I drilled a couple holes in a few rungs and use 3 inch decking screws with the star heads. If I need to level the ladder I screw shims or 2x4's to the log and then screw the ladder to the shims. Just make sure you use screws shorter than your cut, Joe.

Back