Milled some more Cedar today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of incense cedar here. Gets pretty good size, 36"+ isnt uncommon. Wouldnt want to use too much of it for interior work tho, it can be pretty strong smelling. Have a fair bit available for milling, it cuts so easy I think about going with a thin bar/chain.
There's also Port Orford around, but scarse. I have a few on my place. Now that is some of the sweetest smelling cedar. Anyone worked with it?

The last apartment I rented had a LOT of cedar that was milled on site used for everything from counter tops to walls. The bathroom and bedroom closet were cedar top to bottom, even the medicine cabinets were made out of it.

Ian

red cedar chips!

Is there a market for the chips? You could sew up some dog cushions and fill them with chips to sell to the tourists! Either that or make one thousand gerbils very happy... Cobble

I had six 5 gallon buckets of cedar dust today from 3 logs.... CSMing isn't a very efficient way of getting lumber from logs is it...

Ian

Is there a market for the chips? You could sew up some dog cushions and fill them with chips to sell to the tourists! Either that or make one thousand gerbils very happy... Cobble

I typically put all of my milling sawdust in our dog kennel for bedding. Our dogs seem to love it. Ive also heard that the cedar sawdust is a repellant for bugs and fleas as well. Not to mention it smells good.:D

I typically put all of my milling sawdust in our dog kennel for bedding. Our dogs seem to love it. Ive also heard that the cedar sawdust is a repellant for bugs and fleas as well. Not to mention it smells good.:D

I read about that after my wife and I moved into a duplex that had a bad flea problem. We scattered the dust in the yard every few days for a couple of weeks, treated our dog directly and never had a problem again.

Also us it for a cover sent while hunting. Just take a bag with me to the blind and scatter some around. Very effective.

I read about that after my wife and I moved into a duplex that had a bad flea problem. We scattered the dust in the yard every few days for a couple of weeks, treated our dog directly and never had a problem again.

Also us it for a cover sent while hunting. Just take a bag with me to the blind and scatter some around. Very effective.

Ill have to try that scent blocker idea Aggie. Ive never heard of it but it does make sense. Thanks for the tip.

What are some good uses for cedar sawdust? I have been milling lots and lots of cedar and have ended up with a huge pile of sawdust.
Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back