Milled some small shorts today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I went through some of the small balsam and spruce logs today and milled some 5/4 planks that I am going to use for a walkway over a swampy area.

The small short stuff is a PITA to do, but the price is right...

attachment.php

With the short small stuff I found it easier to half a bunch of em first and then take off the boards.

attachment.php

The OSHA inspector :)

attachment.php

The afternoons stash. About 3 hours and 2 tanks of gas on the MS660.
With this small stuff I was tempted to put the 361 in the mill and have a go at it, out of curiosity.

attachment.php

Last edited:
looks good. Gotta love free wood. Once people find out you mill, you never need to purchase lumber again.:popcorn:

looks good. Gotta love free wood. Once people find out you mill, you never need to purchase lumber again.:popcorn:

Ditto... I have enough wood to mill from now till spring. On milling the small stuff, yeah it's a pain to set up, but flip side is it goes real quick down the log, especially with a big bore saw like the 660. Goes faster setting up small stuff if you make some sort of chock system similar to mine where the chock sits on the top of the horse using pins embedded in the chock. Move the chocks in or out depending on size of log, kindof holds the small logs in place as you run down them. btw, on small softwood like that I bet your 361 would have been fine.

We don't really have a wide variety of trees native to the island(Hence the nickname "The Rock"). Those are spruce and balsam.

In the far background are mostly birch..

Conifers

* Balsam Fir, Abies balsamea (L.) Mill., quite common
* White Spruce, Picea glauca (Moench) Voss, quite common
* Larch, Tamarack, Larix laricina (DuRoi) K. Koch, quite common
* Black Spruce, Pinus mariana (Mill.) B.S.P., common
* Red Pine, Pinus resinosa Ait., rare
* White Pine, Pinus strobus L., rare

Broadleaves

* Paper, White Birch, Betula papyrifera Marsh, quite common
* Speckled Alder, Alnus rugosa (DuRoi) Spreng., quite common
* Black Ash, Fraxinus nigra Marsh, very very rare
* Pin Cherry, Prunus pensylvanica L. f., common
* Dogberry, Showy Mountain Ash, Sorbus decora (Sarg.) Scheid., common
* Black Ash, Fraxinus nigra, Marsh, very rare
* Yellow Birch, Betula lutea Michx. f., rare
* Trembling Aspen, Populus tremuloides Michx., rare
* Choke Cherry, Prunus virginiana L., rare
* Mountain Maple, Acer spicatum Lam., rare

Last edited:
And today I had to do the evil nasty job of cleaning up the area that I milled in.

I wish our trees would get some leaves on them! Hopefully next week or so as they are starting to bud. Of course with the wind chill it was -1°c last night.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back