Milled up some posts (pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been meaning to do this for a long time and the long weekend was my chance,this wind blown stringybark is idearl for making posts for a post and rail front fence for my home.I made them 10'' x 5'' x 7'2''.

880 with 36'' bar ready to cut stump end
stihlman441-albums799-176196.jpg

First cut with 660 36''bar alaskan mill
stihlman441-albums799-176197.jpg

After first cut yucky sap pocket
stihlman441-albums799-176198.jpg

Last edited:
Set for Minni Mill and 441 with 25'' bar
stihlman441-albums799-176199.jpg

Back to alaskan
stihlman441-albums799-176200.jpg

And here they are
stihlman441-albums799-176201.jpg

And yes they were heavy had some problems getting them in the ute
stihlman441-albums799-176202.jpg

Last one
stihlman441-albums799-176203.jpg

Last edited:
Considering throwing in the funds towards a Mini Mill...is it really worth it? Do you like yours, or would you rather have had something different?

Nice looking slabs, how many did you end up cutting?

Scott

I have found the minni mill to be very usefull in a lot of ways,its good for getting the sides off a large log for afew reasons,makes the log not as wide so you can use a smaller alaskan mill,you get the bark off so not to dull the alaskan mill chain with bark and grit,can make cutts down the middle of the log as i did them when you use the alaskan the rails are done and easyer to handle,use it to make the first cut instead of using a ladder,make bench seats and what ever you can think of.
I only ended up with 5 posts,the bottom part of the log was a bit rotten with white ants in it,but there is the other part of the log to go will get afew out of that.

158865d1290380723-picture-900-jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics and nice beams. Those rascals do get heavy don't they? I cut some 8' and 12' 6X6 Virginia Pine beams and thought I could just through them on my shoulder. Ha, fooled me, or made a fool of me, Joe.

Nice pics and nice beams. Those rascals do get heavy don't they? I cut some 8' and 12' 6X6 Virginia Pine beams and thought I could just through them on my shoulder. Ha, fooled me, or made a fool of me, Joe.

Yea! I cut a 8'x6"x6" Ponderosa Pine a while back and it was a two guy deal just to get in the truck.

jerry-

Stihlman that bench rocks :clap: .. my wife says to me.. Could you do that.. Told her sure.. if we buy a few toys er tools :msp_tongue: ..

Nice choice of splitting the center with the mini-mill before slabbing. I've been finding that saves a lot of time edging boards.

133798d1271649954-csm-vs-swing-2-jpg

Those are some nice milling logs. Don't often get a chance to mill logs that big unless I happen upon a blowdown before the firewood cutters get to it. Nice pics thanks for posting :cheers:

Those look like stunning timbers :clap: .. any pictures of the posts you cut?

I milled some Ponderosa Pine logs last year and did it that way using the big mill to cap the logs and then using the mini mill for making the vertical cuts. Buy having the side cap pieces still attached it helped to keep the big mill level when making the thickness cuts for my boards and the 6x6 post I milled. Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice job!

jerry-

Back