Millin' again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milled a few sticks today

Finally got to the 20' pine that's been sittin'.

Yielded 4 - 8/4 x 26" x 20' slabs and about a dozen 2x8's

This log was bumping the limits of the mill. We had a few tight squeezes but our planning worked (this time).

I wish I had a kiln. Waiting on the other slabs in the barn is getin' to me.
:blob2:

Pics of 1st cut

I drop some but most are construction salvage. They've been taken down by dozers and excavators. Some logs are split in places but I can't beat the price. Most contractors jump at the opportunity to have someone else haul off the bulk of what they consider debris. They usually even load it for free! Suckers!:biggrinbounce2:

I need to go scrounging again. Couple more good days at the mill and I'll be sawed out.

BTW None of the equipment belongs to me except the CSM. The backhoe and bandmill belongs to a friend and the bobcat is my father's. Why buy when you have good friends and family?:D We're kinda on a "backscratching" system.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
BTW None of the equipment belongs to me except the CSM. The backhoe and bandmill belongs to a friend and the bobcat is my father's. Why buy when you have good friends and family?:D We're kinda on a "backscratching" system.
It sure is nice to have access to that quality of equipment.I do the same for getting saw logs and I get nervous when I get low,I gotta scrounge soon also.

Good pics aggie... LOVE to see milling pics, yeah I second that, you have the good fortune to have access to all that equipment. You mentioned back scratching, just curious what are you doing for this good man with the mill? Does he get some of the lumber maybe? Yup, milling pics just put me in a good mood and make me wish a free weekend were right around the corner so I could get out there and get busy with my stash too. Speaking of which, apparently unlike you and carvinmark, I currently have more than I can handle. Over 3000 bd ft of wood laying down that I need to slice up before the beetles get to it. All were dropped within the last month. All were taken down to build except the pecan which was dying. The red oak and the pecan are OK for another couple weeks or more, but somebody gave me a 14 ft long huge elm with a 36 inch wide crotch section that I need to get pronto. Can't wait to open that one up.

Last edited:
I agree love to see boards coming off the mill, Thanks.
What type of construction do you use the lumber for?
happy milling
And where did you get that great "Milling Time" sticker?

woodshop said:
Good pics aggie... LOVE to see milling pics, yeah I second that, you have the good fortune to have access to all that equipment. You mentioned back scratching, just curious what are you doing for this good man with the mill? Does he get some of the lumber maybe? Yup, milling pics just put me in a good mood and make me wish a free weekend were right around the corner so I could get out there and get busy with my stash too. Speaking of which, apparently unlike you and carvinmark, I currently have more than I can handle. Over 3000 bd ft of wood laying down that I need to slice up before the beetles get to it. All were dropped within the last month. All were taken down to build except the pecan which was dying. The red oak and the pecan are OK for another couple weeks or more, but somebody gave me a 14 ft long huge elm with a 36 inch wide crotch section that I need to get pronto. Can't wait to open that one up.

My father has worked with the man for years. He's a developer and my father is a builder so there's always something that can be worked out. Sometimes we pay for mill time but mostly it's project help and lumber bartering.

Honestly, I do have more on the ground than I can get to now (6 more oaks bigger than the one I posted last week). It's the manic in me that wants more.:hmm3grin2orange:

smithie55 said:
What type of construction do you use the lumber for?
happy milling

These will probably go into a bookmatched table top or bar tops. Which ever sells first.

smithie55 said:
And where did you get that great "Milling Time" sticker?

I put it together with Corel Draw (similar to photoshop).

Latest posts

Back