Milling dry logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking for some cypress to down and mill for quite a while and couldn't find any.
Now I found some who were downed two years ago and kept on a gravel yard since.
The guy would let them go for free in change of a couple cants, we're talking 8-9 logs - including 2 cedar logs. Average 13' long and 15-20" across at the base.
They don't show no sign of rot - possibly because of the gravel yard or maybe because they are resting on blocks. Wood is still nice and clear under the bark, just some minor ckecks, and a little greyed here and there in the spots where the bark has split.
Now, I have never milled anything this old, should I give it a try or not even worth it ?
I have a granberg mill with a 660 and a homemade gravity fed auxiliary oiler on the bar tip.

Yeah, go for it. I've milled Poplar and Oak that have been dead and down for years. They fell across other trees that held them up off the ground. The Oak had a 2 inch thick layer of rotted punky wood all the way around, but was solid and beautiful inside, Joe.

I agree with rarefish. You should get some nice boards out of those logs. Cypress & cedar are pretty rot resistant. Looking forward to seeing photos of the end product.

Back