Milling Giant Sequoia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I hope this works, I have a new camera and I'm using my daughter's laptop. Here goes.

My friend Andy told me he was going to mill some Giant Sequoia and that he thinks it would be the biggest log he has milled so far. The logs were about 45 minutes away so he had not seen the wood. I told him I would be able to help and also take some pictures. The butt section was pretty impressive, about 7' high and 6' wide.
DSCF0479.jpg

The tree turned out to be about 100 years old and as I hope you can see by the rings, it grew fast. Some of the rings were 1" across. There were many bark inclusions to deal with also.
DSCF0477-1.jpg

Last edited:
We had to trim the butt swell first. An 084 and a little prying did the trick.
DSCF0480.jpg

Then the mill was put on blocks, about 14" at the large end and 8" at the small end. We had to move the mill head from a ladder.
DSCF0483.jpg

We milled mostly 8x8 cants to be sawn into fence boards on the Woodmizer later on. The butt section weigh 20,000lbs and the 8x8 cants must have weighed 200lbs. All 6 logs were 12' long plus trim.
DSCF0485.jpg

Andy hit two nails in the butt section. This one was nasty and dulled the blade and broke corners off carbide teeth. We also hit a bullet about 20" up the trunk.
DSCF0482.jpg

The tree was growing in Atherton, an exclusive area in the SFO bay region.

That's pretty awesome!!!!:clap: Good thing it's soft wood and easy cutting. A log that size could wear on a blade. I guess your nails did that trick, though.

As someone else pointed out not too long ago, I am amazed at the growth rate in areas where there is no winter (FYI, cold and rainy is not winter!) and where there is always a lot of moisture. Besides some very aggressive growing willows or maybe a big cottonwood I have never seen anything even remotely close to 1" a year.

With the rings that size, how does it affect stability and strength of the wood?

Nice milling!

Looks like a lot of fun, and work! I went to a day like that in Madison WI and watched a Peterson work. It was a lot of fun. Does Lucas make a slabber? We did a lot of beams like you, to be cut up later on a band mill, but he also made a bunch of huge slabs that sold for big $.

I'm surprised that Atherton let a big tree like that to be cut down.
Yeah, they do have all types of rules and regulations in those cities in the Portola Valley area...in fact, I got some trees that came from Portola Valley a while ago, and they wouldn't let me go up there on the weekends, only during the week are contractors and workers allowed to go in there...

Yeah, they do have all types of rules and regulations in those cities in the Portola Valley area...in fact, I got some trees that came from Portola Valley a while ago, and they wouldn't let me go up there on the weekends, only during the week are contractors and workers allowed to go in there...

I know of the Portola area. Some of these citys are funny.

Another member here BlueRider, milled a big elm tree in San Jose and the city actually cut the tree down and then let him mill it right there at the street edge. He taught me a bunch about milling.

After milling the elm, his friend found a camphor tree to mill. Can't remember the city now, but very close to San Jose. At first they said when they cut the tree down they would let us mill the tree. Then, the day the tree was to be cut down they told us we couldn't mill the tree. We couldn't even be there when it was being cut down. We were told that they would leave what they wanted to leave. It was in firewood lengths. What a shame because it was a big old tree.

jerry-

Yep, no contractors/noise on the weekends so the rich and famous can get their beauty sleep! :-/
Then, the day the tree was to be cut down they told us we couldn't mill the tree. We couldn't even be there when it was being cut down. We were told that they would leave what they wanted to leave. It was in firewood lengths. What a shame because it was a big old tree.
I had a very similar thing happen, the city was taking some maple trees down over by Saratoga/SanTomasExpwy, a friend of mine lives across the street from the park. He asked if we could have the trees, they said yes, but then when we went to go get them they told us that one of the city guys wanted them.:(

Easy come, easy go...

I got a couple truckloads of logs for free, these came out of Portola Valley, pines and eucalyptus:
attachment.php

Yep, no contractors/noise on the weekends so the rich and famous can get their beauty sleep! :-/

I had a very similar thing happen, the city was taking some maple trees down over by Saratoga/SanTomasExpwy, a friend of mine lives across the street from the park. He asked if we could have the trees, they said yes, but then when we went to go get them they told us that one of the city guys wanted them.:(

Easy come, easy go...

I got a couple truckloads of logs for free, these came out of Portola Valley, pines and eucalyptus:
attachment.php

Nice pile of wood.

attachment.php

I have a neighbor who owns a commercial landscaping business, and he said he would call me when he has a old tree that needs removing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

jerry-

Another member here BlueRider, milled a big elm tree in San Jose and the city actually cut the tree down and then let him mill it right there at the street edge. He taught me a bunch about milling.

After milling the elm, his friend found a camphor tree to mill. Can't remember the city now, but very close to San Jose. At first they said when they cut the tree down they would let us mill the tree. Then, the day the tree was to be cut down they told us we couldn't mill the tree. We couldn't even be there when it was being cut down. We were told that they would leave what they wanted to leave. It was in firewood lengths. What a shame because it was a big old tree.

jerry-

The camphor tree was in Mountian View and it was a real shame because you guys would have gotten some 24" wide x 8" long straight boards, a real rarity in size for camphor.

The elm was a parking strip tree and San Jose has some "interesting" rules regarding them. They are considered city property but each home owner is responsible for maintaining the parking strip trees adjacent to their property. If a home owner wants to remove one they need a permit, which is free. The home owner is responsible for the cost of removal and must replant a replacement tree. If the city decides a street tree must be removed the home owner has no say and the city bears the cost but they will not replant a new tree. I have never had any luck with the city of San Jose letting me mill a parking strip tree they removed. I have done several that were removed by the home owner which was the case Where Jerry came down to watch. The part that was pushing the rules a bit was that we were milling the tree in the street. Not that any one was going to try and make us move a 36" diameter 12 log

One of the first elms I ever milled was on the univrsity campus. I tried to get permissin to mill it and all I got was a big run around. A friend told me that it was scheduled to be cut into fire wood and that several people would be very happy if it were not there when they showed up the following monday to remove the trunk. We went over there on saturday and acted like we were supposed ot be there and found out that people don't ask questions when you start up a chain saw with 42" bar.

Not that any one was going to try and make us move a 36" diameter 12 log
FWIW, if you ever get wind of that type of log, please do let me know. I could move a 12' log that is 36" in diameter, although I need a tire at the moment, I have an F-450 flatbed that has an 8,000 lb. payload, and the bed is 12' long in the back. It has toolboxes on both sides but there enough space to get a log in there, and secure it. Especially interested in hardwood myself. Anything larger is fine also, would cut it down. I can deal with getting it off myself after I get it back as I have a lift back at my yard.
We went over there on saturday and acted like we were supposed ot be there and found out that people don't ask questions when you start up a chain saw with 42" bar.
That's funny...yeah, people stand back when the chainsaw starts up, heh?

I have quite a bit of logs right now, but always interested in hardwoods such as walnut.(hint hint) If you hear of any and you can't get them, or possibly might want to split it up in lieu of help getting it, let me know. I am close to San Jose.

Latest posts

Back