Milling heaven

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Guys,

RE: Container for storage.
Yep, it's as we say here "Chokka" which means completely full! Currently we are storing the green slabs in the big green shed, but what we should be doing is putting the dry stuff in the big green shed and the green stuff in the container because the container seems to be quite effective at drying timber.

Plans are afoot to create more storage for the dry timber and to set up a wood/timber finishing shop. We have just purchased a big 16" jointer, and to help kick things along I will move my 10" thicknesser/planer and 19" bandsaw and 2 HP dust collector from my back veranda (My wife will be very pleased) to the site. We are also exploring acquiring a 30 or 36" thicknesser because we want to be able to to thickness whole slabs.

Cheers Guys,

RE: Container for storage.
Yep, it's as we say here "Chokka" which means completely full! Currently we are storing the green slabs in the big green shed, but what we should be doing is putting the dry stuff in the big green shed and the green stuff in the container because the container seems to be quite effective at drying timber.

Plans are afoot to create more storage for the dry timber and to set up a wood/timber finishing shop. We have just purchased a big 16" jointer, and to help kick things along I will move my 10" thicknesser/planer and 19" bandsaw and 2 HP dust collector from my back veranda (My wife will be very pleased) to the site. We are also exploring acquiring a 30 or 36" thicknesser because we want to be able to to thickness whole slabs.

Well Bob (and I hope you continue to stay that way) it looks like you're really getting serious here. Thats a pretty impressive list of cast iron. No weekend warrior shop that one... keep us informed. Do I see a business venture here? "BobL Exotic Slabs Inc...right off the saw or ready to install... your choice"

Well Bob (and I hope you continue to stay that way) it looks like you're really getting serious here. Thats a pretty impressive list of cast iron. No weekend warrior shop that one... keep us informed. Do I see a business venture here? "BobL Exotic Slabs Inc...right off the saw or ready to install... your choice"

Well I hope so too - yesterday I was in the yard for ~10 hours but not all milling. I felt tired enough after milling that log but after a half an hour of moving slabs around in the container I was stuffed! To top it all off we had a foggy morning and I left my lights on all day so I had a flat battery and as every one else had gone home I had no one to help out. Fortunately there were two trucks in the yard so all I had to do was push the van over near one of the trucks and jump start - easier said than done. It was just not possible to push the van mainly across woodchips and sawdust. In the end I used my Log lifter as a winch to haul the van across the yard to the truck. Then being a diesel van and the battery being dead flat it took about half an hour for enough charge to trickle across from the other battery to get it started - then I had to sit there a while an recharge the truckies battery.

RE: Weekend warrior shop.
The primary driver and financier of this plan is the Arborist and his son who get the logs. I'm the weekend day labour, ideas man and chief bottle washer. Rightfully the main money will primarily be going their way. I get to play with and access to the timber and to have a lot of fund doing it! At the moment it's all just a plan because the yard itself is actually owned by someone else and Jeff is trying to purchase it . Land in Perth has also doubled in price in the last 2/3 years so some hard bargaining is in progress.

Well i have been waiting for this thread to continue and have not been disappointed in the least. Very nice colouring and grain to that wood. Great job Bob and good luck with your expansion ventures, it can only get harder but more fun from the sounds of it. Look forward to the rest of your pics.

As always a wealth of info and entertainment!! Great stuff your one lucky guys with all those hardwoods! Awesome - Irishcountry

Back