Milling oak 4x4s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I think I'm going to be building an addition to my lean to on the back of my barn for firewood and boards that I mill. I'm supposed to get an oak that's in the 30" range out of my co-worker's yard sometime soon and was wondering this:

How likely is it that I can mill 4x4s out of that green oak and them stay straight enough over the next few months to use them for posts later this year? I was going to use that tree for firewood, but I might end up using them for building material instead if they won't pretzel on me before I can use them.

Ian

I'd say it's pretty likely to be fine. Unless they've got some serious resibual stress they'll be very useable, would be fine in a house (my uncles been building all his life at 45 and generally always uses green hardwood - easier to work) let alone a shed... It's a good option IMO

In fact here (UK) the vast majority of building with oak (and many other hardwoods) is done green. It then hardens in situ. It moves and cracks a bit but generally if you're using oak you don't mind or want that, and it doesn't affect the structural properties

Last edited:
Well that plan got shot in the foot today. Seems that my co-worker's teenage stepdaughter is an up-and-coming tree hugger. She pitched a fit when she found out and mom came running to back her up. Daddy dearest then folded like a house of cards, so there'll be no oak for me. :(

Ian

Last edited:
Well that plan got shot in the foot today. Seems that my co-worker's teenage stepdaughter is an up-and-coming tree hugger. She pitched a fit when she found out and mom came running to back her up. Daddy dearest then folded like a house of cards, so there'll be no oak for me. :(

Ian

Wow, what a bummer Ian. Sorry to hear it. I guess it must have been a standing tree in their yard huh? Oh well, you come across more. I stopped at my local Forest Service Office where they'll give you a permit (firewood) to cut on state land in certain areas, marked trees. Your allowed 5 cords. I asked about milling if I came across good logs and they didn't seem to care although "good" logs will probably be far and few between. I'm best off buying them from work or scouting.

Ian

Around here oak doesn't last long in the ground anyway... It just creates a path for the bugs to bore into your house... I'd never use oak for an in ground post...been there tried that!

I prefer to see a nice tree to be left standing too, so even though i have a sawmill, i guess i'm a tree hugger too...

Rob

Around here oak doesn't last long in the ground anyway... It just creates a path for the bugs to bore into your house... I'd never use oak for an in ground post...been there tried that!

I prefer to see a nice tree to be left standing too, so even though i have a sawmill, i guess i'm a tree hugger too...

Rob

+1 I agree Rob, cedar and other's are a much better candidates.

Rob

This tree isn't a good looking healthy one, it's got a decent trunk, but one of the major forks broke out what looks like several years ago. He wanted it down because it's sitting in a spot where the rock comes real close to the surface, not a lot of top soil. He's had several cedars tip root balls up in the wind and doesn't want this oak winding up across his fence or on his shed.
Anyway, water under the bridge. I was going to dip them in something my buddy recommended for preventing rot in fence posts. Never did find out what it was.

Ian

I was going to dip them in something my buddy recommended for preventing rot in fence posts. Never did find out what it was.

Ian
If you're serious about stopping things eat the posts (e.g. termites/white ants) put them on brick peers and ant cap, or put them on stirrups set in concrete footings... The chemicals go away eventually

Curious where do you work that you can "buy" logs to mill?

I've been working contracts for a logging outfit here in Maine. I'm a logger but here that means running a harvester, feller/buncher, skidder, limber etc..

Latest posts

Back