Milling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, we just got our Norwood Lumbermate put together, we are going to be milling our first log within the week. I have a question. When cutting a log into a square cant, how do you know how deep to make your cuts? For example, log is loaded onto the mill. Now to make the first cut. How deep? Is there a formula that I can use to know how deep to cut? I imagine that if all 4 cuts are too shallow, there will be rounded edges on the cant. Too deep and you waste lumber. Thanks for any advice you can give.

if the log is perfectly round the length of the chord or line that forms one side of the square should be

=sqrt(2 * (radius of log)^2) OR in a simpler form, = 1.4 x radius of log

If it's not round, you can average the max and min radii and then use the same formula. Most people seem to just wing it!

It depends on a lot of things, and it will all come together in time.

Most of the logs I get to cut have a noticable taper to them, so to keep from loosing too much to the taper I measure up from the bed at the shortest length I can utilize. If you have a lot of taper like we do this will leave you with some of the log still having bark on the top. Cut 1" board's, or what ever you need untill you clear the top of the log. These slab's, flitches, side wood, or whatever you want to call them can be edged into boards later. Keep doing this on the other 3 sides, and you'll have a good cant, with little waste.

I promise, you will waste some lumber before it all comes togeather.

Andy

Latest posts

Back