Milling redwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The redwoods I have cut here in New Zealand have had thicker bark than that, especially at the base. The heartwood of the barels were also "redder", more like the colour where the limbs have been taken off or the board in the first pic. The foliage looks very similar though & it cuts like butter as you describe

The bark thickness is exceptionally thin for a red, but the needles are definitely coast redwood. Giant Sequoia has much longer needles than Coast Redwood. The heart wood is usually redder, but there are different variations with redwood depending on where/how it grew.

Very wide growth rings too, but they grow fast with ample water and not having to compete against other trees. I climbed/cut one at my jobsite that had tapped into a water leak...only about 50' years old, but 4' across.

The wood sure looks more like Cedar than Redwood. Aren’t Sequoias found further south?
Sequoias are inland, on the west slope of the Sierra's...isolated in just a few areas at that. Coast Redwood grows naturally on the central to northern coast of Cali. However, coast redwood gets planted everywhere as an ornamental tree, so not surprised to see it in another state.

Back