Milling stands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Made a new set of stands to mill off of. Large logs I’ve started on the ground but halfway through they get in the awkward mill on your knees height. On my saw horses they start off too tall but get better on the bottom half. Hoping these will fit the happy medium. 18” tall with a 20 degree tapered center to set the log into. EA8F0CC2-2680-45FE-BA7E-B0A8873AC9B7.jpegBB9A2E40-D165-4DF1-8A46-B4648330AECA.jpeg

Nice work.

I did a similar thing, making a pair of heavy duty squat saw horses out of angle iron with a 5 x 3' hardwood top. to stop the log rolling I either use wedges or a pice of 4 x 4' with a slight dip cut out of the centre. If the ground is sloped I orient the log along the slope as this really reduces the mount of mill pushing required. On flat ground, to generate a slope I put wooden blocks under the saw horses under the start end of the log but sometimes I wish I had just made the saw horse less height adjustable.

At the milling yard there are heaps of off cuts just laying around which can act as the same thing plus a fork lift to raise the log to the right height. But having a nice set of stands is

I will say a slight downward angle like you mentioned is highly underrated. It’s amazing how just a little gravity takes a load off you.

Latest posts

Back