Milling w/ skiptooth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgesawyer

Reaction score
Has anyone out there that is milling w/ skiptooth chain ever tried regrinding it to match the angle of a standard milling chain and if so how did it work. I mill w/ an 084 w/ 36" bar and 063 pmx chain

ridgesawyer,

I have never used skip for milling, so I'm no help.

But do have question's for you......what brand of bar, are
you using to run 36" of Stihl PMX? and how good do the chains
hold up to that much power?

Thanks,
Gary

P.S. Welcome to AS

Milling w/ .063 3/8 Chain, not 63 picco chain

:( Gary, so as not to be the source of misinformation I went out to the woodshed and educated myself a little bit and found that I need to pay attention to where I place my decimal point. I am milling w/ .063, 3/8 milling chain not 63. I have been having no trouble w/ this chain holding up to the power of the 084, however the rest of the rig is what I have to pay attention to. My first bar did not fare so well as I was milling a lot of 24" wide walnut stumpwood and crotches and even w/ an auxiliary oiler on the sprocket end of the bar the middle of the bar got extremely hot and started to literally flake off. I am using a windsor speed tip bar now and it has held up much better. I have also had to modify my oiler, auxiliary oiler and replace a muffler that just burned up and I also have to periodically re-torque the head bolts. Needless to say it is just a whole lot of Rosy to keep buried wide open in a 2' wide cant. Thanks for responding. Scott

ridgesawyer,

63 PMX is Stihl Picco Low Profile 3/8 .050 ga. milling chain.
Only place that sells it in U.S. is Logosol, that I know of.

Gary

Back