Mimosa Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katcha

Reaction score
HI WE NEED TO MOVE OUR MIMOSA TREE...WHEN IS BEST TIME? CAN WE ROOT IT?..........KATCHA:help:

Adrpk said:
I think mimosa has a deep tap root.
Yes they do even in hard clay soil. If you can't afford a tree spade, buy a new one. do you really want a mimosa?

Sorry Katcha, I can't answer your question, here in N. Ill Mimosa trees are rare trees, I saw my first one last week, surprized me when the call came in about bugs in the tree.

So I have a few questions of my own.

Guy, from the tone of your last post, sounds like Mimosa is some what of a weed tree down south.

The one and only Mimosa that I have seen other than in pictures seemed to be a nice ornamental tree maybe about 15 to 20 ft high, it was in bloom, flowers were unique.

I saw many problems with this tree though, included bark, open face canker on the main stem and many of the major limbs were showing canker damage. Is this typical for the species?? Other than these faults the tree looked to be in good health. This is the only Mimosa I know of in our area and it is probaly a little far north as it is a more southern Illinois, but was growing in a nice spot protected spot in the landscape.

Is Mimosa in the legume family of trees?? I asked the owner what the seed looked like from the description she gave me it was like a Loucust pod but much smaller. The leaves were very similar to Black Loucust and Honey Loucust, Kentucky Coffee ect, ect compound I think is the correct way to describe them, been awhile since I have been in school:help:

Larry

Mimosa are either loved or hated. Hated for sprouting like crazy, dropping bean pods, and dying off in groups. Loved for beautiful tropical blossoms and graceful flowing habit. They are soft, do not handle abuse well(improper pruning, neglected root zone). I have never had much luck transplanting any over one foot tall, best done in dead winter.

Mimosa's

Hi Ya'll And Tysm For All Ur Comments. Yes Rebleman I Do Love My Tree! Would Hate To Loose It, But Its In A Bad Spot Next To Driveway & Branches Keep Hitting The Van. Mayb I'll Try To Root A Few Pods & C What I Get (black Thumb Here! LoL)
Same Soil Stumper, Ty!...yes Treeseer I Do Want & Love The Mimosa Tree. Ax-man, Yes They Grow All Over Here In Va...i Was Orginally From Wisc; Never Saw 1 B4 Moving South, Been Here 38yrs.
Rebleman Will Suggest What U Say To Hubby & Do It In Winter, Ty!
Ty All :)

rebelman said:
Mimosa are either loved or hated. Hated for sprouting like crazy, dropping bean pods, and dying off in groups. Loved for beautiful tropical blossoms and graceful flowing habit. They are soft, do not handle abuse well(improper pruning, neglected root zone). I have never had much luck transplanting any over one foot tall, best done in dead winter.

If youre talking about Jacaranda mimosifolia, we know em just as Jacaranda here, then i'd say i agree with the above.

Trev

Its In A Bad Spot Next To Driveway & Branches Keep Hitting The Van.

Have you considered pruning off those branches, instead of moving the whole tree?? :confused:

Yes ax mimosa is a legume. they die off due to an incurable wilt disease. In fact this is mentioned in the August issue of Arborist News. The disease is soilborne, so cutting the roots to move the tree would make big wounds for that disease to move in. Bad idea.

Hi & Ty For Ur Responce. Hubby Has Been Prunning This Tree For Yrs. We Didn't Plant It Where It's At...it Was A Gift Of God And One Of His Birds, Lol. 'if' I Did Try To Grow A Few Pods That Drop Off, Is That The Best Time When They Have Fallen? Or Should We Pick Them B4 They Hit The Ground? I Will Look Up The "jacaranda" Name & C If This Is What I Have, Ty. I Soooo Want To Keep This Tree.

treeseer said:
Albizia julibrissin is the name.
Ok , something completely different to what i were thinking but the mimosifolia species name musts be descriptive of its similarities and the characteristics mentioned by rebelman are spot on too!

Trev

Mimosa Questions

Thank you all for your help and input. My husband did prune back the troublesome limbs:chainsaw: and we will consider transplanting in the winter. What & how do i handle the pods? In water at 1st?...right in soil?...are they ready now?:confused:
~~~Katcha :biggrinbounce2:

Back